please help...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone tell me who the manufacturer of this frame is?

bikes002.jpg

bikes004.jpg

or any info,

thanx

I have that EXACT frame and it could also be a Montgomery Ward Hawthorne. Mine still had the decals on it before I sanded and painted the bike. It was my first bike and I just recently pulled it out of the shed out back and gave it a second chance at life. I have a buddy with the same bike and both of ours had the original "Hawthorne" sprocket (that sprocket looks much more modern). His was also sporting the MW decals. Also, I have the same metal strap connecting the coster brake to the frame. The manufacturer was a company called "Cleveland Welding" they had they're own line called "roadmaster". The MW Hawthorne was the same bike but with slight changes (like the coaster brake strap).

The rollfast is almost identical, the only way to really know for sure is if you have the original sprocket, or know how to identify number stamps.

The rollfast sprocket had three "spokes" with holes in them. The Hawthorne sprocket had slots radiating out like a radar signal.

This is what my buddy's bike looks like, you can see the little MW logo right before the word "hawthorne"
hawthorne66005.jpg

Love the seat.

I have a 24" hawthorn looks just like that frame.

h24-1.jpg

the pointy rear dropouts are a clue. (Mine's buried in the "to-do" pile)

h24-2.jpg

also it looks like a forged schwinn fork, newer 44t sprocket and an old parson's seat. that's my 0.02.

(I think I hear it asking for whitewalls... ) ;-)

bigblockthing said:
rollfast/hiawatha and roadmaster/cleveland welding are actually two verry different frame designs; rollfast was actually made by the dp harris company in new york and the most noticable feature would be the dropouts and the seat stays which seem to be a loop design at the top

Are you saying that it's a rollfast/hiawatha? Or are you just stating the diffrence between the two frames? I'm not to familiar with the Rollfast but I know the Hawthorne really well and the dropout design on this bike scream Hawthorne.

it does appear to have the "peapod" mounting holes on the rear stays, seen those on mostly Hawthornes as well :| maybe it is a hawthorne :?:

thanx fer all the input guyz... last night I was stoked thinkin I had aa Rollfast
...now I'm back to not bein sure.
One thing I do know is I still love my ride and I'mthis much closer to figurin out its heritage

thanx again everyone

Back