Pics and Video: My 50's Hawthorne Custom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The weather was really nice today, so I took some update picture of my custom '50's Hawthorne cruiser. I also got the chance to get a riding video... rides mint! I swapped the pedals out for a pair of NOS Wald script red pedals, and although they are smaller than and not as deluxe as my old beefy Torrington 10's, they have a much nicer feel and look. I am still not completely done on this bike, but am very close to it. I am going to soon find a pair of jewelled handlebar to wheel trusses, possibly a removable cross brace for the handlebars (I like the look of those, I just don't want it to interfere with the visibility of my speedometer...), and I'm going to pinstripe "Deluxe" onto the chainguard with some appropriate red paint, or possibly have it done by someone else as I've never striped before. The word will be written in a very classic cursive font that fits the style of the bike. I swapped the rear fender out for a more appropriate, older and rusted Schwinn phantom fender that I "bobbed" free hand. It is a wide fender! I love the look. I swapped the 46 tooth mag chainring out for a more '50's 52 tooth Murray chainring... that was a huge improvement. This bike hauls in high and crawls in low. :lol: The larger sprocket really worked out nice. This bike is a huge hit at the town package stores where I often stop for a soda... I get a lot of questions and compliments. :D The last time I was there a guy came over and asked if it was "one of them Schwinn spaceliners?" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pictures:

33nknqg.jpg

25tdgf6.jpg

ws9z08.jpg

2yydoi0.jpg

Future plans for the bike:

Find an axle mounted dropstand (I have bad luck with this bike tipping on the original kickstand) in ratty condition, find the jewelled trusses I described, find a removable handlebar cross brace, find an appropriately ratty rear basket (the type that has a basket on either side of the rear wheel) to haul iced tea with in the summer, some reflectors for the rear of the basket, and to find some clamps for a NOS bicycle battery tube and horn kit I picked up. (Pics later :D )

Video (camera work courtesy of my brother on his un-fairlady "frankenSchwinn" :lol: -soon to be totally overhauled-):

Sorry, the upload failed, I'll have to try again in a minute... should be up soon.

I really like this bike.

Oh, here's the battery tube kit:

attachment.php

Thanks! The idea was to build a 1950's super deluxe bicycle looking like it was customized in someone' backyard. :lol: I think it fits that description and idea pretty well. I can't wait to have a basket and some trusses for it.

Unchained said:
Thanks! The idea was to build a 1950's super deluxe bicycle looking like it was customized in someone' backyard. :lol: I think it fits that description and idea pretty well. I can't wait to have a basket and some trusses for it.

Couldn't of said it better. Nice work

roadmaster said:
that is cool in so many ways!!! love the whole look of it, as i see a few different manufacturers represented on it. sweet! :mrgreen:

Thanks! I was also looking, in building this bike, not to use any scripted pieces if possible. Or, if the pieces were scripted, to have them be of a general name, like Wald. The scripted pieces I did use are appropriate in my mind... The pedals are Wald script, the speedometer is a JCH (could look for a Hawthorne on, but I like the red casing on this one- and I'm not bothered by it because a JCH speedometer could have been used on any bike, being sold by Sears separately as an accessory). The grips are flex-Grip scripted... all of these pieces, in my mind, could have been used on any bike, unlike a Schwinn scripted piece, that just wouldn't have fit in my mind. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cman said:
Unchained said:

Couldn't of said it better. Nice work

Thank you. :D

Back