Old Schwinn Twin tube?

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by Ethan, Apr 27, 2019.

1. SSG

SSG

These "Imported" models were the cheapest bikes of the lineup. Probably because of that they didn't get much love in the ads so that makes tracking down the date a little difficult. Western Auto appears to have sold three different versions. This one from the 1958 ad has cantilever bars that run continuous back to the dropouts.
    [​IMG]
    This one from the 1961 ad has two top tubes and a single cantilever bar
    [​IMG]
    Or the style like yours which has two top tubes that run back to the dropouts and two cantilever bars that terminate at the seat post.

Ethan likes this.
  2. Ethan

Ethan

Guys I appreciate all the input. This will be a project of mine ….not to be started before May 1st....

RustyGold likes this.
  3. Rustinkerer

Rustinkerer

There never was a strike, but Murray was building a new factory in '56, likely causing a shortage. ..Most of Sears' 3 speed lightweights after the later '50s were made by Puch, part of the european collective Steyr/Daimler/Puch. Puch's factory was in Austria, while the '56 JC Higgins bikes were made by one of the other factories in W. Germany. I used to think Bauers were made by them, but learned this year that they were their own company. -Adam

RustySprockets likes this.
  4. RustyGold

RustyGold

This ad shows a TI-Raleigh built bike...a continuation of a Hercules model but with the intermediate bar added. This is a british roadster.

Rule of thumb for American bikes, if they have a cottered cranks...they are imported. Mostly German/Austrian...but, also British, Japanese, Norwegian, etc. . These bikes don't tend to have much value, but, still great project fodder.

Ethan likes this.