OCC "Stingray" rear whitewall

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got myself one of these bikes, and I want to replace the rear tire with a white wall... I have been searching you-tube, this forum, the google for a tutorial, but haven't found anything.
my question is; how do I go about stretching a 20 x 3.00 on the rim?
Do I put it on with the 4 1/4 tube?
Do I use a 20 x 3.00 tube?
Do I have to do anything specific to get the beads to stay on the outer edge?
Probably a simple answer, but I dont want to spend the cash for the tires and then find out its not going to work the way I want...
Thanks in advance

Never done this, but if I were to, I would use whatever tube it came with. Tube sizes are a little misleading as they stretch pretty well. Stretch them out and they get thinner, sure, but they're generally fine, especially on balloon tires running lower pressures and you wouldn't be using a lightweight road bike tube, anyway. You can stretch a tire to a certain degree, but past that point, you're risking a blow off. Having said that, my Interrobang is running borderline the other way with a thin rim width. I wouldn't do it on a speed bike, but it's heavy, flexible, and runs low pressure, so I accept the risk (more likely just an annoyance if it blows out on this).

Looking at the rim/tire width chart that ends with too low numbers here, it looks like there's not a set ratio represented, but if you stay around 1.75 times rim width or better according to this, you'll probably be fine and I'm sure you could get away with a little less http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Never done this, but if I were to, I would use whatever tube it came with. Tube sizes are a little misleading as they stretch pretty well. Stretch them out and they get thinner, sure, but they're generally fine, especially on balloon tires running lower pressures and you wouldn't be using a lightweight road bike tube, anyway. You can stretch a tire to a certain degree, but past that point, you're risking a blow off. Having said that, my Interrobang is running borderline the other way with a thin rim width. I wouldn't do it on a speed bike, but it's heavy, flexible, and runs low pressure, so I accept the risk (more likely just an annoyance if it blows out on this).

Looking at the rim/tire width chart that ends with too low numbers here, it looks like there's not a set ratio represented, but if you stay around 1.75 times rim width or better according to this, you'll probably be fine and I'm sure you could get away with a little less http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
when you say to use whatever tube it came with, do you mean the bike? or the tire?
So should I use a 20 x 4 1/4 tube? or 20 x 3.00 tube?
Thanks

Oh, yeah I worded that wrong as I had it in my head that you were using a narrower rim instead of a tire for some reason. Sorry about that. I would use whatever tube the tire you want would use.

20180517_065723.jpg 20180519_094029.jpg 20180517_065733.jpg
I know its on backwards, but I was so excited to see it together I wasn't paying attention to the orientation... I'll fix it when I take it apart for painting

Latest posts

Back