NOW SEEN IN FINISHED SECTION! ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ US vs. German headbadge pg5

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:
Zoom in with a magnifying glass.

I think it reads "Stimmen Für Flex-Liner 7"

If it does I'm sure it'll grind right off.

:mrgreen:

Maybe I can get some work done today:

8:30- babysitter just arrived
8:50- take 2 older kids to swim practice
9:45- pick up kids and take them back to house
11:00- go to other church to help a community feed project
1:00- back to my church
4:00- off work and home with kids
6:00- vacation bible school starts
9:00- VBS over

Wait... what happened to my build time?

Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ (was G.I.JESSE JAMES)

is the ltd hollow if so would be a cool headlight
yoothgeye said:
OK, had a few minutes today and grabbed the front fender.

Obviously this bike has been partially spray painted a few times, so I'm using steel wool to restore any remaining factory paint. The white tip of the fender had red paint over it, so I was glad to get it back, and keep the fender stripes:
SAM_0879.jpg

Last time I went to the junk yard I grabbed a hood ornament off an old car, the only older hood ornament still on a car was from an older Ford LTD. It fits well where the light originally was:
SAM_0880.jpg

But what if it was a swan instead of the LTD emblem?

SAM_0881.jpg

I'm up in the air over this and want your opinions.
Is the ltd hood ornament hollow if it is that would make a cool headlight jus my 2cents
Look at that rust shining in the sun!
SAM_0882.jpg

Finally, I grabbed this at the church yard sale last week, a little copper caldron, might end up a headlight.
SAM_0883.jpg

Then I went to dinner, but afterwards stopped by Radio Shack and grabbed some battery holders. Yay!

Maybe use them both.
Swan up front and LTD as tailight in back.

big kountry said:

It is hollow and I thought about lighting it up, but not as a headlight, just as an effect, but I want to have a more traditional style headlight.

Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ update6/23: LTD or Swan? pg3

yoothgeye said:
Anyone have an answer to this question? Was the US headbadge a heavier duty unit or was it just thin stamped steel as well? On the bottom of my badge it does say "Made in Germany" and something else, I haven't cleaned it enough to read yet.

SAM_0873.jpg

The headbadge on my 1950 Girl's ColorFlow was the same cheapo stamped steel... I tore it to pieces trying to remove it.

That LTD hoodie would look cool mounted sideways on one of the chainstays as a taillight.

yoothgeye said:
big kountry said:

It is hollow and I thought about lighting it up, but not as a headlight, just as an effect, but I want to have a more traditional style headlight.

Cuz bikes traditionally have cauldrons for headlights. LOL!

Green P1 said:
The headbadge on my 1950 Girl's ColorFlow was the same cheapo stamped steel... I tore it to pieces trying to remove it.

Good to know.

kingfish254 said:
That LTD hoodie would look cool mounted sideways on one of the chainstays as a taillight.

Not a bad idea, but this is the only thing I have to fill the void on my front fender and I think the base fits well and it covers the headlight

Joker-n-Jack said:
Cuz bikes traditionally have cauldrons for headlights. LOL!

Touché. :wink:

Lovin the cauldron idea,would look good as one of my halloween props... :roll:
Keep up the good work...

Funkme said:
Lovin the cauldron idea,would look good as one of my halloween props... :roll:
Keep up the good work...

Thanks man, trying to get some work time, but this week is INSANE!

Peatbog said:
You could give up sleep or something.

I gave up sleep till after 1am this morning because a friend came to visit.

I gave up half my day in the office to ride bikes with my family and friend this afternoon.

Now I'm about to give up my computer time to get some sleep.

I think I'm going to swap the nice whitewalls that I just put on the bike for some older ones, I need the nice ones for my motorized bicycle.

Peatbog said:
Once you pass out from exhaustion, I'm going to sneak in and take all your cool stuff...or maybe leave more cool stuff just to confuse you.

Either way and it would take me a few days to notice. I really want to be riding this bike.

Lugisland said:
You know that the bike must be rideable... Can you reach those grips without standing on the pedals? LOL!

Haha. When I built these bars I used an old Huffy Good Vibrations bike as my test bed for them. I'm 5' 10" and though these bars look crazy big, it's actually a comfortable fit. There's some pictures and videos on the internet of guys with huge apes on their Harleys and they are stretching to reach them, but on these, even with the seat slammed it's not a stretch at all, and pretty comfy. Handling though, we'll see. I'll definitely posted riding photos when I'm done.

This was the cell phone photo from when I built them:
0308121750.jpg

Beleive it or not but the bike law in Savannah or maybe even Georgia states something about your handlebars can't be higher than your shoulders!!!!!

kingfish254 said:
Beleive it or not but the bike law in Savannah or maybe even Georgia states something about your handlebars can't be higher than your shoulders!!!!!

I know there are laws about ape hangers, I actually did some ape hanger research as I was starting this build. I was first concerned about the origin of the name "ape hanger" I wanted to make sure it wasn't a term with roots in racism, but it was always about the rider looking like an ape with his arms up in the air.

I saw that states have laws on motorcycle bar heights and that some countries have laws about the height of bars on production bicycles.

There are all kind of stories about how they came to be and everyone has some "reason" to have them other than "They just look cool."

For me, they just look cool.

bike2112 said:
Dude, those are insanely cool. Are you going to mount side mirrors on them? You should mount one of those air raid sirens from the cold war era on it.

I think the only accessory on them will be a bell.

yoothgeye said:
Look at that rust shining in the sun!
SAM_0882.jpg

If you don't have any plans for the license plate, let me know. I think it's from the town I used to live in.

I bought that plate off of eBay a few years back to put on my Audi, but never did, it might find it's way onto my Toyota estate unless it ends up on this build.

I'd trade it for one from a different town.

Latest posts

Back