NOW SEEN IN FINISHED SECTION! ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ (was G.I.JESSE JAMES)

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Have you considered carefully cutting the BB off and welding on a 'standard' one from a donor? Would that violate the rules? I've seen guys cut their seatstays and weld in spacers for tires, would this be THAT much different?

That wouldn't change the geometry of the frame, so the rules would be intact, but my frame wouldn't, and since this is the only complete tank bike I've ever even touched, I kind of want to keep from molesting it too badly. I think though that the BB is fine now, and once I get the Raleigh left arm on there things should be fine in the drivetrain department.

Good luck losing followers with a cool (wierd) bike like that. 8) 8)

I still think it would be a blast to ride.You could stand straight up like you were on a sidewalk but flying about a foot off the ground.(I hope that makes sense)My brother has dreams about fling when sleeping.But he isn't flying like Superman the way the rest of us do in our dreams.He flies standing vertically,about a foot off the ground.(Maybe it has something to do with his mass and gravity.He's a shot putter)I'll have to show him this build.Then I'll probably have to build him a bike like this :D :D

Looks good,Man :wink:

Circa Cycles said:
Good luck losing followers with a cool (wierd) bike like that. 8) 8)

I still think it would be a blast to ride.You could stand straight up like you were on a sidewalk but flying about a foot off the ground.(I hope that makes sense)My brother has dreams about fling when sleeping.But he isn't flying like Superman the way the rest of us do in our dreams.He flies standing vertically,about a foot off the ground.(Maybe it has something to do with his mass and gravity.He's a shot putter)I'll have to show him this build.Then I'll probably have to build him a bike like this :D :D

Looks good,Man :wink:

Thanks (I think) haha. I like things that are different and stand out... I should be on the right track... if not I've got more steel for even taller bars. :lol:

hogans-heroes-2.jpg

I will be watching you Higgins! :lol: 8)

Haha, I've given it the name "German Spy" based on it being what appears to be a US bike until you look closer and realize it's a German made bike in disguise, and now I'm wondering how to tie in the title into the build... I've got some ideas. :wink:

Peatbog said:
The world's largest rabbit is German.*

*No, I am not sure what that has to do with anything. Just sayin'...

Maybe this does have something to do with something... we know that the German built frame is lighter than it's American counterpart and rabbits are fast according to the throttle on ANY lawnmower (compared to turtle) so therefore, this bike should be FAST!!!

Peatbog said:
Rabbit talk--better nip it in the bud right now or things could get out of hand.

I've got the same special delete button that Steve has.* :wink:

*but I like bunnies.

I still remember from Bugs Bunny that German Bunny Stew is Hasenpfeffer.

I WANT MY HASENPFEFFER!!!!

hasenpfeffer.jpg

OK, had a few minutes today and grabbed the front fender.

Obviously this bike has been partially spray painted a few times, so I'm using steel wool to restore any remaining factory paint. The white tip of the fender had red paint over it, so I was glad to get it back, and keep the fender stripes:
SAM_0879.jpg

Last time I went to the junk yard I grabbed a hood ornament off an old car, the only older hood ornament still on a car was from an older Ford LTD. It fits well where the light originally was:
SAM_0880.jpg

But what if it was a swan instead of the LTD emblem?

SAM_0881.jpg

I'm up in the air over this and want your opinions.

Look at that rust shining in the sun!
SAM_0882.jpg

Finally, I grabbed this at the church yard sale last week, a little copper caldron, might end up a headlight.
SAM_0883.jpg

Then I went to dinner, but afterwards stopped by Radio Shack and grabbed some battery holders. Yay!

Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ update6/23: LTD or Swan? pg3

Peatbog said:
I like the swan. It reminds me of the black swan children's story.

Thanks, looking at the photos the LTD ornament looks like, well, a car hood ornament, but the swan looks more like something for a bike.

I like that hood ornament :p

Peatbog said:
Hehehhehehe, that's funny.

By the way, I like the car ornament too. I just like swans better. They look so cool when they swim.

Do you see what I'm saying about the swan looking more at home on the bike than the car ornament?

Peatbog said:
Yep, it just looks like something that would come on a bike.

It's as if I paid you to say that. (what was your paypal address again?)

Peatbog said:
Hey, you only need another 9,000 views to get to where you were before you changed bikes. So you're gaining.

Don't remind me. :roll:

Peatbog said:
Actually, that swan looks like it would go on this particular bike. It has a flow to it that kinda goes with the flow of the bike.

Thanks. When I got the swan at the yard sale it was attached to a little silver plate, maybe an ash tray? Anyway the swan's head was sticking almost straight up, I heated the neck with my torch and bent it down/forward.

Peatbog said:
8997 now.

Ugh. :lol:

Latest posts

Back