New project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! I had a chance to get one of those a while back that was used by the navy or air force (can't remember which). Had a beefed up suspension and all but I decided not to get it and been kicking myself ever since.
01151101041001160720080527b6720cbc740cbce60600934f.jpg

stretch, that is a nice truck! A true classic.... So I hate to see you put a chevy in it. I have been in the hot rod business for 11 years and( I know this will sound bad) nothing is more disapointing then a chevy small block, It's like giving up. If you keep it a ford i'll help you find what you need. I would just hate to see a nice truck original truck like that get chopped up.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

I went last weekend and looked at three. Two were 3 window and came from the Airforce.
The third one was a five window and said Falcon on it. He said they made them towards the
end of production , and called them a Falcon instead of a Econoline. The one by Dodge was called
A-100 and some had v-8's in them. Everybody wanted a cheap junk truck. I love mine so far. :lol:

I love a small block chevy , but I'm not going to change the motor in this one.
Somebody thought it should have this motor and I'm going to try to work with it.
The carb needs work. It will only run with the choke out. Usually means a clogged up low speed jet in a bike. Maybe its the same for one of these. Need a rebuild kit and see what I can do with it.

It is flooding, probably from some dirt in the needle seat or a bad float. I like to start at the tank. A truck this year will have a lot of dirt and debrie. It should be flushed and the lines replaced. Work your way up to the carb.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

The tank leaks so its going to have to be worked on first. I have a friend that is a fabricator.
I'm going to have him build me a tank to replace the leaky one. This truck is in good shape, but has been neglected.
I am going to fix all the don't works first , and then figure out a direction from there. Its just something fun to run
around in. I have no desire to really change it. The thought of a narrowed 9''rearend with some wide tires and a blown something or other in
it would be fun, but really a waste of good money at my age. Its pretty unique and in fair shape. For $4000 I couldn't find a decent project.
This guy wanted $4500 and dropped to $4000. He hit my magic number.

Its a falcon ranchero if it was the white one sitting there.
I'm not sure what he is doing with all the cars anyway.
You ought to call him and see what he will take. If it sits out
very long it will rust to pieces.

Its funny , I had forgotten working on old cars/trucks. If it has 6 bolts , 5 of them come out perfect
and the last one either won't come out or breaks. Then I ordered a fuel pump and the lines come
out 180 degrees from where they are suppose to. The NAIL fell out of the shift linkage and it stuck in
reverse. Then while under there fixing that I got a piece of rust/junk in my eye and scratched the heck
out of it. Wonder where something like that came from. Ah this is going to be a fun project.Lord give me strength.

Uncle Stretch said:
Its funny , I had forgotten working on old cars/trucks. If it has 6 bolts , 5 of them come out perfect
and the last one either won't come out or breaks. Then I ordered a fuel pump and the lines come
out 180 degrees from where they are suppose to. The NAIL fell out of the shift linkage and it stuck in
reverse. Then while under there fixing that I got a piece of rust/junk in my eye and scratched the heck
out of it. Wonder where something like that came from. Ah this is going to be a fun project.Lord give me strength.

Oh I have seen worse. I had a '86 Jeep Wagoneer (Small one like a Cherokee) that someone had broken the wire clip where it plugs into the distributor and they had drilled a drywall screw into the end and wrapped the bare wire around it. :roll: Paid $150 and a case of beer for it not running, tightened the screw and drove it home :mrgreen: .

Yeah Sensor I have to back it out to do anything. Its kind of a hard type vehicle to work on.All of it has to be done from the bottom.
If I was younger ,I would pull the body , build a square tubing frame with a killer motor auto trans and a 9'' rear. I really don't have a place to stick a body now. Oh well It gives me something to play with. :roll:

Its funny they are so weird looking that a lot of them are parked in front of
stores for advertising. I need to finish mine and rent it out. :lol:

Man that is a super page. Its cool that you can click on any truck and it takes you to their site. Thanks. Will do some serious looking there.

What a cool place with cool toys!!!

That Econoline is in great shape for it's age. What a col project.

Latest posts

Back