New guys... Post Winter build???Le Fini!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well I didn't make the March 1st deadline... so I guess it's now a post winter build?
Original thread post: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-guys-winter-project-build-off-material.80126/
Any way, the tank is pretty much done, gotta do some glazing putty and finish sanding. Gonna go over the frame one more time and maybe lay another coat of primer. Got one of Chad's seat posts, made a big difference... Thanks Chad! The bars in these pics are the new Bellevue bars... the ones that don't need re chromed.
Now the bad news, the oil tank, which is still in the plan, is gonna need a redo. Seems I got in a bit of a hurry laying the glass... Not a good thing to do! Too many way uneven areas when I stated sanding it, so thin in some areas I was sanding through. Good news is it didn't take long at all to sculpt in the Styrofoam. I also decided how I'm gonna mount it, gonna bolt it to the fender! It's too narrow to use the straps like are on the tank and since I'll be hinging a door on it only makes sense. Speaking of straps, I think I gonna leave the tank straps in the brass, should look nice with the gloss black.
Once everything is together as far as the headset, steer tube length set, those bars should be lower by about and inch and a half.
Later
Mike G.

[/URL

Last edited:
Well, "Luke the Joker" took the liberty of posting it in his reply (thanks BTW!), but I edited the first post in this thread with the link to the original Winter Build thread and now it's here too. Sorry, should have thrown it in there to begin with.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-guys-winter-project-build-off-material.80126/

I'm currently at the glazing putty stage on the tank, figuring since it's gonna be gloss black every little flaw is gonna show up like it's neon... Putty, sand, repeat, sounds like a hair shampoo/conditioner commercial!

Oh Man! So freak'n close:headbang:

Started painting, after waiting a week plus for a day that wasn't sailing weather (windy). First off the Eastman 2K catalyzed paint, it goes on nice however, at $25 a can I'd say go with the Rustoleum or Krylon and save your money for the 2K clear... just didn't see anything worth the money over the standard rattle can. Not to mention you don't have to make sure you're done in 48 hours.

That said, everything is painted and cleared... But Capt. Numbnutz here:crazy: got all antsy in the pantsies and had to go and mess up the clear on the tank with finger prints! So hit it with a little 1000 grit, and gonna hit it again tomorrow morning.

Even after that I won't be mounting the tank just yet, the crank bearing cup doesn't fit, so I gotta figure out how I'm gonna get around that. I have the original stuff but I'll have to paint the outer BB cover plates.

Still planning on the rear seat struts, which I have sized and drilled but I want to re do it and paint it gloss black also.
So here's where it's at...

The functional "Oil Tank", provides a little bit of storage, contemplating a leather strap addition and buckle, the little latch doesn't really cut it as I discovered knocking the stem in.

So that's about it for now, next pics should (BETTER!!) be completed shots...

heya mike g
man talk about an awesome build!!!
that is one sweet ride you got there.
that tank is excellent.
Indians were some of the coolest bikes build back in the day and the new junk that these people push thru the cracks and call a bike cannot even hold a flame to these beauties.
you captured the look spot on
sorry you weren't in the build off but you're build is still awesome
Sean

More or less done...

Need to work up those struts from the rear stays to the seat springs, figured it out just need to get the metal bent... cleanly. Got a set of those coke bottle grips coming from Ian, the hard plastic implement grips just aren't gonna do it... and they just don't fit!
Still not sure what I wanna do with the kickstand, I was thinking chrome plate, which would at least get me checking out more of the area chrome plate shops.

Well she's done for now, maybe some gold perimeter pin striping on the oil tank to be added. Had a set back on the seat struts, couldn't get the Brooks apart so I went with the Gyes saddle... have to beat it up a bit, really liked the agedness of the Brooks. It actually rides pretty nice and turns heads, especially with biker types (motor and non motor types). All in all pretty happy with it considering it's my first vintage cruiser attempt, and my first scratch building of anything in fiberglass...

On to the next project I guess...

WOW! I missed the finished pics of this build!
BRAVO!!!

Well thanks guys!
Not really sure how this resurfaced:confused:, I think JimK came over from a link on the CABE (There is an over the top BTR going on over there!). But since it back, I'm in the process of revisiting the Ol' Chief and scraping that repro springer with an actual truss fork, I'll probably drop a pic after the surgery.

Back