New guy, reversing the historical trend...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy folks... I've been lurking in the shadows of this site for several months now and thought it was a good time to join up, now that I have a project to show. My background is in aviation and my hobbies have always been airplane-oriented, but I've been pushing myself hard and nearing burnout lately and wanted to do something different for a while. The Wright Brothers went from bicycles to airplanes, maybe it's not such a big stretch to go from planes to bikes, eh?

I've been into R/C planes since I was old enough to read magazines but have been very frustrated with the attitudes of others I've met in that hobby lately. This board and its members seem to be a very friendly, accepting, open place to share ideas about a hobby so I'd like to be a part of it, at least for a while. I know how to do a few things mechanically, but my level of craftsmanship is not on par with other members of this board so I'll be learning alot for you all!

I had bikes as a kid, but was not really into them anymore than my wife is into cars - they were tools to get from A to B. Last year I decided to build a motorized bike to get me around the campground at Oshkosh and found this site while doing my research. Evidently there are alot of like-minded folks in central Kansas whom I'm looking forward to meeting , but for now, I just wanted to say "Hi" and "Thanks for sharing" all the great builds and ideas on this board. I hope I'll have something to contribute...

My first attempt - the before, during mockup for a build that didn't happen:
InTheBeginning1.jpg

InTheBeginning2.jpg

And the after, as it sits today.:
FinishedCreamsicle.jpg

I know the seatpost looks goofy, but I'm 6'4" and don't like hitting my knees on my chin...
RearEndDetails.jpg

FrontEndDetails.jpg

HandlebarDetails.jpg

My motorbike - built off a Wally-World Huffy Nel Lusso:
NelLusso.jpg

Welcome!

Your Bikes look cool. 8) love the grips!
Plenty of local members in the metro area, check out the Coasters club for happenings. http://locojoe.com/coasters/

I used to scratch build and fly R/C planes several years back, still got enough goodies to get a couple up in the air. 65Rat (Tim) from this board also built and flew R/C so your not alone! :D

And Im sure you'll love it here, pretty laid back group... no drama, no attitudes, its all good!

Welcome Three-Wire. Very cool looking bikes. What kind of frame is this?
FinishedCreamsicle.jpg

Thanks everybody!

@RF62: I've been looking through the Coasters website and am looking forward to meeting you guys this spring sometime!

@Pudge: That's a newer Schwinn Heavy Duti I picked up at a swap meet. Has a hole and alot of damage to the dropouts that was covered by the kickstand, so I decided not to motorize it.

@KJV: The tank will go on another project sometime this spring... 8)

Thanks for all the kind words guys...

I've gotten in one short ride on the orange bike just to test things out (it's my first wheel build, my first internal hub, my first home-made grips, and my first ground-up bicycle build from parts) and it's gonna be put to heavy use when the ice and snow stop. :D I'm really looking forward to spring and getting to know you Coasters guys!

@Galtbacken: Thanks! Your builds are are in a whole other league from what I'm capable of right now, but I love reading through your threads! Thanks for sharing you skills and talents...

Latest posts

Back