New Departure Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an “old” New Departure “W” front hub. I’m curious to find out how old it might be. Cleaned it up some, going to use it with a triple step rim for a ‘21 Columbia bike. I want to keep the patina look though.
b621480d7c2cb8fad2ce73fd12069172.jpg
8d6019a8a9fc24fa2a153de2d42d1882.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I found my answer on the CABE.
a1a4112b65d28ad821f111b5619fb0c1.jpg

Introduced in 1935.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a lot of these on bikes. The cones wear in from years of improper adjustment but they still work as good as new. I think the problem is that they have no jam nuts to hold the cones. The jam nut is the fork and they tightened up or loosened when the wheel was installed. Kids who predominantly had these bikes had no cone wrenches and just ran them loose or tight. With cone wrenches you can install the wheel and keep perfect play in the cones. Early Schwinn front hubs were the same, probably others too. I put Penetrol or boiled linseed oil on these parts before building the wheel to keep rust from further developing. I had a perfect shiny hub with no guts. I found new old stock axles and cones on eBay.

Back