Need Western Flyer Info.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this one in a antique shop, they are currently asking $200 which seems steep since there is speckled rust all over and duck tape on the pedal. Yet, I am no expert on vintage bicylces; I was hoping that someone could tell me a thing or two about this one in particular, the model, year, what to look for, and what its worth (although I realize worth is broad, just stick with Low: $100 - High: $600 exc...). The girl working had no clue what she had in the store and said I can contact the owner come monday should I think about buying.

IMG_4214.jpg

arpicker said:
Perhaps a bicentennial model with that red, white and blue paint?

Yea, I was thinking that too. I couldn't find a similar one any where on the net. It says western flyer written in cursive on the chainguard (White words, on the blue background) I have an idea at what it may be (I would like to hear some one elses thoughts before I infuence the discussion) but there seems to be some differences in parts, or missing parts?

I'd like to have whatever it is they are drinking or smoking. Its obviously good stuff. For $200, that bike had better be mint. It is more like $100 tops. Antique shops are NEVER good for bicycles or anything really for that matter. All of those antique stores are high priced and stuff never sells. They all wait on a sucker to come in the store and buy something. I have bought things on occasion, but I only buy what is priced fairly or is a good deal. They know I do and they know when I bring something to the counter, they missed something.

Most people in the antique stoes don't care nor do they want to run it like a business, its pretty much a hobby for stay at home moms, dads, and older folks. The only ones who make any money are the ones who rent the spaces out.

partsguy couldn't be more correct...I personally wouldn't give $50 for that bike.Its those stupid,PRODUCED picker & ULTRA STUPID storage unit shows that are driving prices up and making our hobby harder & harder to deal with people that watch those ignorant shows.People,if you haven't figured it out yet,those shows are ALL SET UP! There are no surprises...they know exactly what they are going to "FIND" or what's in that storage unit...IT IS ALL B.S.!!! Think about it...the producers of these shows (and they're SPONSORS) can't risk MAYBE finding something cool,rare &/or expensive...THEY HAVE TO KNOW TO KEEP THE MORONS TUNED IN!!! Now you may ask...'But Pappy,how do you know this?'...& I'll tell you...because the producers of "American Pickers" came to my boss (WEIRD STUFF ANTIQUES) Terry,who turned them down flat,before they found Mike & Frank (gag).Terry has been in this business,literally,his entire adult life.So the next time you're at a garage sale or antique store & some idiot is trying to get $300 for a '70's Collegiate 'cause 'Its a Schwinn'...thank those idiotic television shows!...OK,I'll get down off my soap box now,but think about it...P 8)

Is it just me or does it look like the rear rim is a drop center and the front is not. This would devalue it considerably. Also I don't pay much for ladies bikes. Maybe $65 tops if it's skip tooth.

I totally missed those wheels. Yes, I might pay out $40 for this old girl, but I would then park it and part it.

I have this same bike in storage, I'd sell it for $200. This is a 1947-48 bike, I believe I've heard it call a Victory bike because it's painted red, whhite & blue. Mine is a little bit nicer, yours looks like most every thing is there but $200 is to much.

Latest posts

Back