Nashbar - return from dead

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got this Nashbar terra xt used in about 1989, rode it hard for a while and got hit by a car 2 years later. No damage to me, light damage to the bike. It's been sitting around one garage or another, hanging in the rafters for 25 years.

1.Swapped on a different set of old mtn bike tires and a fresh set of tubes.
2.Oiled up the chain, still have 3 sticky links.
3.Rear spokes are all very loose but the araya rim is straight.
4.Front rim is jacked up from the collision, not sure if I can true it.
5.Seat post is seized, we'll see what transmission fluid and acetone does.
6.have a set of low rise BMX bars to swap on for a little more upright riding position.

Down the road, new cables, tires, grips, maybe chain if this doesn't loosen up.

I need to go over the whole bike, clean, adjust etc, but I made the first ride today after 25 years. Plan is just a reliable comfortable cruiser, keep the patina - I put most of the scratches on it myself. I love the rat traps, they're staying, I used to throw on some loose wide zip ties when the leathers broke, think it will suit this bike perfectly.
20160806_144321.jpg
20160806_163923.jpg

I hope so.

Ordered up a spoke key, new chain, chain tool, frewheel removal tool, bulk cable. Replacing some bike tools I had years ago that have found their way to missing tool land.

2 days and I can start working over these rims, been a while and I've never straightened one as bent as the front. Done know how easy it will be to find a 26×1.75 araya hoop.

New chain, stripped to frame and all parts cleaned, reassembled. Rims straightened, bearings repacked, derailleurs tuned, brakes dialed in to lock up the tires.
20160814_112746.jpg

Work in progress. 1) need a new stem for BMX bars . 2) Seat post seized, hung the red and black sear for now - don't remember where it came from. 3) new grips and bar plugs on the way.

Rides well, I forgot how much fun the non click derailleurs are, "find a gear" then adjust the front. Adds to the character of this bike because I now remember it from riding it in the past.

Last edited:
Couple rides has revealed more stuff.

I did not service the cranks, creaky bottom bracket. May as well disassemble, check bearings and regrease, as well as retorque crank arms.

One of my pedals is missing the dust cap and is "cruchy". I have a spare broken set of suntour bear traps. Never repacked pedal bearings, but it's worth a shot.

Freewheel and rear gears have a wobble, I threw some new grease in the rear wheel, may need new bearings. Need to pick up a suntour 2 prong tool and see what size bearings I need.

Pulling the frewheel and cranks will let me detail those parts better and polish some pieces up.

More to come, thanks for following.

Bottom bracket serviced. Looked like mud, bearings were actually in good shape.

Pedals disassembled and rebuilt, pretty easy really, shaft race needed to be polished, turned out OK with some krokus cloth.

Thought I scored with a stem from a schwinn donor mountain bike, didn't work out. I stripped and painted it first - duh.
Looks like I'll have to spend a little money for a new stem.

Park suntour 2 prong socket is on the way, frewheel rebuild on the horizon.

Threw it back together and went for a nice ride then took the kids on one. That's what it's about.

Thanks for following along.

BMX bars from a mid school mongoose and a leadtech ebay stem. Looks and rides much better.

To do list
- readjust derailleurs, swapping the bars got them out of whack
- rebuild freewheel or swap on a new one, still has some wobble
- seat post still stuck, may try ammonia, acetone ATF mix didn't touch it.
- front brakes drag, need to rebend or get a new sprung for the v brakes

Other than missing last gear on the rear, it's a rider. Think I'll leave it alone until winter, neighborhood cruiser.

Muscle bike build off has captured my attention.

Also looking at BMX build options for my 2 daughters, hmm, pick up a midschool and go thru it with new paint, or totally old school?

Attachments

• 20160826_171728.jpg
    20160826_171728.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 168
Back