My wifes Hawthorn.........

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my wifes bike out, aired up the tires and took it out for a 7 mile ride in the country yesterday. I just got my breath back. It's a lot of uphill roads around here. It still has the Raleigh N.C. bicycle license from June of 1965 on it. I never noticed until I was taking the pictures that the fork is bent back. Problem is, my wife won't let me take it apart and fix it. Anyway it's hers, it rides like a dream and she loves it the way it is. Whatever makes her happy. Right guys?
100_2280-1.jpg

100_2278.jpg

100_2279.jpg

100_2281.jpg

100_2282.jpg

100_2283.jpg

100_2284.jpg

100_2285.jpg

I can't see how that fork wouldn't be an issue for her. How does it turn? If it were me, I would probably fix it when she wasn't looking. Heck, you could overhaul it a bit at a time over several months. She would never know!

Still, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Or, in this case, if your wife thinks it ain't broke...

:D

wow thats pretty bent. id saw hey if you keep riding it like that itll break! just let me take it apart to look at it and make sure its sound.. 8) but anyway, how does a skiptooth ride? ive never owned/ridden one, and i bought one recently(off the classifieds here), should be here soon, but i want to kno what im getting into.

My girls got an original Hawthorne about a 1940 model we picked up at an estate sale about 10 years ago, blue, skip tooth, headlight, package tray, skirt guard and tank. She rides it when she not riding her Star Chief rat bike. She has had many of the Coasters BC members tell her it was one of the nicest riding girls bike they have ridden. In fact one of the guys liked it so much (his wife liked it too) he bought one (about a 1940 model) and spent hundreds of $$$ restoring it for his wife, its his wife favorite bike.

The other day me and my girl where talking about tearing down a couple of our bikes to clean and grease bearings, she said the Hawthorne rode just fine even though I have never touched it other than replace tires/tubes and lube the skip tooth chain.

The girls like those Hawthornes.

Fix that fork.

We've been married 30 years this past Aug. and it's because I know when to agree, when to keep my mouth shut, and when NOT to touch her Hawthorne.

skippy's are awsome, i love to ride em. man that bike is a lady's rat, better not touch it or you'll be sorry.lol

Outlaw

rgallen said:
We've been married 30 years this past Aug. and it's because I know when to agree, when to keep my mouth shut, and when NOT to touch her Hawthorne.
i learned that one about 9 years ago myself :lol:
looks great and glad shes enjoying it!

really like that hawthorne. i actually picked up one for my wife the other day and its forks were bent back just like yours (hers). luckily i had a pair of similar forks that went right in and i had it fixed in under an hour. the rest of it is early 60's and in rough shape. gonna post picts really soon and i got big plans for it, too. maybe then my girl will love her hawthorne.

I'll be watching for your Hawthorne. Maybe I can show my wife and she will let me do something to hers.

Back