My Schwinn ~~ Commuter Rat ~~ 3/3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: what I ride to work ~update 1-07~

I have had lots of fun with setting up this tailight

First went to Radio Shack got some parts
blackbike001-1.jpg

went to home depot was looking for a 2" washer for tank to mount toggle switch
blackbike004-2.jpg

totally lucked out found this backing plate for a electrical box
blackbike005-1.jpg

The screw holes even match
blackbike006-1.jpg

blackbike011.jpg

blackbike008.jpg

just a pic to show how ratty the tank is
blackbike003-1.jpg

Inside the tank I have 8AA batteries I have ordered a LED Flasher Circuit to make the light flash
blackbike017.jpg

and I will clean up the wires I will run them inside the fender.
blackbike013.jpg

blackbike014.jpg

blackbike025.jpg

blackbike024.jpg

Thanks for looking
Skip

Re: what I ride to work ~update LED Tail Light 1-20~

How long do the 8AA's last. let us know when you find out. cool link.
thanks
D

Dude,
That is cool! Using LEDs will definitely increase battery life over a comparable incandescent bulb, oh and I'm a sucker for a DIY project!

One design suggestion, you've spent SO much time on this, I'd hate to see the light get jacked up running it that low. Have you considered flipping the whole unit and mounting it to the top of the fender? It may look more 'natural' there and it would make concealing the wires a lot easier.

Just my .02

Digging the whole look of this,
Dr. T

dwaynev said:
How long do the 8AA's last. let us know when you find out. cool link.
thanks
D
Thanks For the kind words
I think the battery life is more then 100 hours maybe even 200 hours when I add the flasher it will be even longer.
D size batteries would give the longest life but putting 8 D's in the tank would be cumbersome and heavy :shock:
AA's have 3 times the life as AAA's and the size of AA's are fine for the tank
I am using rechargeable batteries (they have a little less voltage all 8 give me 10.31 volts) which is fine for the draw of the LEDs
blackbike002-2.jpg

blackbike004-3.jpg
Dr. Tankenstein said:
Dude,
That is cool! Using LEDs will definitely increase battery life over a comparable incandescent bulb, oh and I'm a sucker for a DIY project!

One design suggestion, you've spent SO much time on this, I'd hate to see the light get jacked up running it that low. Have you considered flipping the whole unit and mounting it to the top of the fender? It may look more 'natural' there and it would make concealing the wires a lot easier.

Just my .02

Digging the whole look of this,
Dr. T

I considered every possible position for the light. Finally decided to go with the low on the fender I think it keeps the flow of the long fender.
At first I wanted to keep Batteries and the toogle swicth in the light housing but 9v battery is all that would fit and just not enough power and battery life plus the lens is tricky to get off and on, three screws and the tank is easily accessible
I was worried about how low it was also but so far I have ridden to work for a week with it as long as I dont jump curbs :shock:
seems to be fine. I do have to take care when parking in the bike rack not to hit the light and to keep it so no one trips over the light.
Thanks Skip

IF YOU WANT TO BUY THE MODEL-A LED PARTS, HERE ARE MORE DETAILS... THE SPEEDWAY CATALOG IS SOMEWHAT CONFUSING.

Hi, I helped Skip find the Model-A parts. I am his dad.

(A) This catalog page:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Model-A-S ... ,3011.html

shows the taillight housing.. ( 91127001 $20 ) ... with standard red lens and uses STANDARD, NON-LED, bulbs. This assembly can be converted to LED by ordering .. … ( 91127003 $25 ) LED lens ..At this page:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ford-Mode ... ayId=23473

With this LED/ lens conversion … ( 91127003 ) … the LED wires plug into the sockets in which the standard bulbs were installed. The LEDs and lens are epoxied together as one unit. The LEDs can only be used with this integral lens.

With this combination of, 91127001 plus 91127003 $45 total , you have the dubious option (much lower batt life) of converting back to STANDARD, non-LED, bulbs. With the STANDARD bulbs you can use the lenses of different colors mentioned below in “B”. If you want to use STANDARD bulbs only, order just 91127001.. $20.

If you want LED operation only order … 91127002 $40. See “B” below.

Because we read the catalog wrong, we purchased 91127001 and 91127003. We were only interested in LED only and should have bought 91127002. See “B” below.

B) If LED operation only is wanted, order…. 91127002 $40 ...housing with LED bulbs INTEGRAL with red lens. With this assembly the lens cannot be changed to the lenses of different colors listed below (these different lenses only can be used with the STANDARD bulb assembly….91127001 $20). Different color lenses:

http://www.mikes-afordable.com/page/MFP/CTGY/1115

Also, 91127002 LED with housing, cannot be converted to STANDARD bulbs.

C) In all cases above, if you want a white license plate light order a LEFT tail lamp or LEFT LED conversion. The RIGHT lamps do not have a license light. Price is the same LH and RH. Skip plans to move the LED license light to the front of the bike.

The above items do not include the Model-A arm/bracket to mount the light assembly to the fender. Order Chrome $13 or Black $10 here:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chrome-Mo ... ayId=23473

Hope this helps. Also hope it is not too wordy.

Paul

My Schwinn ~~ Commuter Rat ~~

It has been more then a year since I updated this. So just for fun........
Last winter I ran the wires for the light inside the fender
blackbike001-3.jpg

blackbike002-3.jpg

Wires under the fender
blackbike008-2.jpg

blackbike006-4.jpg

blackbike007-3.jpg

Used a cable housing to hide the wires from the tank to the bottom of the fender
blackbike013-2.jpg

Shortly after that...I was showing my kids how to do a skid "The Right Way"...... :roll:
blackbike014-1.jpg

blackbike021-1.jpg

blackbike018.jpg

That brake arm should be level with the chain-stay
when the Brake arm strap broke the arm spun around and bent the fender brace and fender
blackbike016-1.jpg

blackbike015-1.jpg

I was able to bend the brake arm and fender back into place.

Then in June I did this :shock: ........ viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28071&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Man+that+hurt

blackbike009-3.jpg

blackbike013-3.jpg

blackbike003-4.jpg

I think I was mad at the bike :roll: did not ride it for 5 or 6 months

In November I put a three-piece crank on
Blackbike010.jpg

Blackbike012-1.jpg

I feel much more confident with the three pc crank on!

As you can see in these photos the fender is getting beat up (metal strap band-aids :roll: )
blackbike010-1.jpg

blackbike012-2.jpg

blackbike009-1.jpg

I thought about changing the fender in the fall.... but then figured the winter riding would be hard on it. see how long it would last>

The heavy snow build up has to be hard on a fender with just one set of braces
blackbike018-1.jpg

blackbike015-2.jpg

blackbike024-2.jpg

Then a few weeks ago I did this
Blackbike002-10.jpg

Hard to see the big pot holes when they are filled with snow :roll:
Blackbike002-10.jpg

Blackbike003-10.jpg

Blackbike010-4.jpg

I did a quick fix just replaced the extra Fender and took the light off till I can get the parts to fix it the right way
4seasons004-4.jpg

Then on my way to work this week the fender finally gave up at the seat stay it split almost all the way though
fender was rubbing the tire bad . had to just twist it off :shock: .... so I could get to work on time
blackbike004-12.jpg

blackbike005-11.jpg

I forgot how cool a thick brick looks when not covered with a full fender
blackbike002-11.jpg

I have some ideas for a new rear fender stay tuned.....

Re: My Schwinn ~~ Commuter Rat ~~

Skipton said:
It has been more then a year since I updated this. So just for fun........
Last winter I ran the wires for the light inside the fender
blackbike001-3.jpg

blackbike002-3.jpg

Wires under the fender
blackbike008-2.jpg

blackbike006-4.jpg

blackbike007-3.jpg

Used a cable housing to hide the wires from the tank to the bottom of the fender
blackbike013-2.jpg

Shortly after that...I was showing my kids how to do a skid "The Right Way"...... :roll:
blackbike014-1.jpg

blackbike021-1.jpg

blackbike018.jpg

That brake arm should be level with the chain-stay
when the Brake arm strap broke the arm spun around and bent the fender brace and fender
blackbike016-1.jpg

blackbike015-1.jpg

I was able to bend the brake arm and fender back into place.

Then in June I did this :shock: ........ viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28071&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Man+that+hurt

blackbike009-3.jpg

blackbike013-3.jpg

blackbike003-4.jpg

I think I was mad at the bike :roll: did not ride it for 5 or 6 months

In November I put a three-piece crank on
Blackbike010.jpg

Blackbike012-1.jpg

I feel much more confident with the three pc crank on!

As you can see in these photos the fender is getting beat up (metal strap band-aids :roll: )
blackbike010-1.jpg

blackbike012-2.jpg

blackbike009-1.jpg

I thought about changing the fender in the fall.... but then figured the winter riding would be hard on it. see how long it would last>

The heavy snow build up has to be hard on a fender with just one set of braces
blackbike018-1.jpg

blackbike015-2.jpg

blackbike024-2.jpg

Then a few weeks ago I did this
Blackbike002-10.jpg

Hard to see the big pot holes when they are filled with snow :roll:
Blackbike002-10.jpg

Blackbike003-10.jpg

Blackbike010-4.jpg

I did a quick fix just replaced the extra Fender and took the light off till I can get the parts to fix it the right way
4seasons004-4.jpg

Then on my way to work this week the fender finally gave up at the seat stay it split almost all the way though
fender was rubbing the tire bad . had to just twist it off :shock: .... so I could get to work on time
blackbike004-12.jpg

blackbike005-11.jpg

I forgot how cool a thick brick looks when not covered with a full fender
blackbike002-11.jpg

I have some ideas for a new rear fender stay tuned.....
:D :D :D man thats some everyday beating

Back