My new motorized toy... Free Spirit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks again to cody-james for selling this to me, it's a blast! The top speed on a charged battery seems to be about 25 or 30 mph, which seems really good for something like this. (And that's without my pedaling- you don't even need to do that uphill until the battery is low). I'll be changing a few things, but I really like this bike as it sits. The front wheel has a small bend that I should be able to work right out with some spoke wrenching, and the derailleurs need a little fine adjusting. The motor mount needs one more bolt and I think I will replace the seat with an identical or very similar one (it was torn a bit on the left hand side). Some 27 x 1 and 1/4 whitewalls will be in order as soon as I can find some, and I am definitely going to re-work the battery mounting setup. Right now it's held on the carrier with a bungee cord. I plan to manipulate some old baskets so that I might carry this battery and another as well. The electric motor does not seem to charge the battery... does anyone here have experience with these setups? I always thought that electric motors, once they got up to speed, naturally charged the battery that ran them. Doesn't matter much to me though. Working generator light kit... works great actually. Really simple controls; all you have to do is get the bike rolling on it's own, then turn the electric motor on by holding the extra, red gripped lever down. No major mods are in order... I wish it wasn't raining here, or I'd be out riding it. :D

5xtp3o.jpg

2gsok9f.jpg

auumhx.jpg

scuf55.jpg

jfg4za.jpg

NICE!.It would be nice if the motor charged the battery it was using (but I think there are laws about getting free energy, no taxes :roll: ).........I wonder if there's a way to hook up a light generator to (slightly) charge the battery......just a thought.

KOTA said:
NICE!.It would be nice if the motor charged the battery it was using (but I think there are laws about getting free energy, no taxes :roll: ).........I wonder if there's a way to hook up a light generator to (slightly) charge the battery......just a thought.
...or two :D :D

I'm glad it went to a good home... I can not wait to see this one finished it did around 25 with me on it and I'm not a small guy

Thanks guys, I am really excited about working on this one, very glad I bought it! That's an interesting idea, using light generators to charge the battery... I think I'll look into that, thanks for the idea KOTA.

cody-james said:
I'm glad it went to a good home...

I definitely have taken a liking to this one... it will be well cared for. :D

maddogrider said:
Dude that is to cool 8)
cman said:
Pretty cool. Those setups work really well on trikes.

Thanks. I have considered moving this kit over to something cooler like a motobike frame but I have really gotten to like this bike as it is.

I really dig the silence myself... it really is silent when it's running, the only sound comes from the tire rolling against the roller wheel.

Really sweet ride........One of One thats for sure..........Love the electric motor..........Do you know what year that was produced???.......Looks vintage........Maybe you can find a smaller car or motorcycle alternater/genarter and have it run of the rear wheel............Just an idea.......

That's also an interesting thought... I will definitely be playing with this one over the summer break, so I'll be looking into and trying everything. I'm not positive what year the motor kit or the bike was produced, though I haven't checked for serials or dates printed anywhere. Based on the red, white and blue color scheme of the bike, I'd say it was mid seventies, specifically like '76. It seems that a lot of the Columbia and other common road bikes of that year were painted patriotically as a special for the bicentennial.

I re-figured the battery mounting setup today, and the bike is so much nicer. The battery being on top made it a little tipsy and unstable. :lol: I have some double Wald paperboy style baskets on there now and plan to mount a second battery as soon as I can. Need to find some tires, too. I noticed that they will need replacement, (though I was going to anyway) as the front has some fairly long weather cracks in the tread that are getting worse fast.

Imagine....if you made a POWERED vehicle that never needed to be charged, or stop for gas. You'd be a BAZZILIONAIR! Or maybe we'd never FIND you, ya know "Big (oil) Business" and all. :roll:

KOTA said:
Imagine....if you made a POWERED vehicle that never needed to be charged, or stop for gas. You'd be a BAZZILIONAIR! Or maybe we'd never FIND you, ya know "Big (oil) Business" and all. :roll:

My thoughts exactly. :wink: :lol:

I will eventually so that it doesn't tip like it is... though it fits really well without straps. There should definitely be some, though. Eventually I'm going to buy two new batteries and some wires so that I can run the bike off two batteries rather than this one. This current battery seems to be losing it's ability to retain a charge.

Back