My Dad's '57 Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in the fresh finds when I first got it home:

2292791115_787d0d44ec.jpg

It was my Father's first ride, and had been hanging in the garage of the house he grew up in for the last 40 years or so, as far as I know. My aunt saw my bikes on my myspace (yeah my family is on myspace, the only reason I still have an account) and sent me a message saying that my Dad's first bike was still hanging in the garage. I went up there with my brother to retrieve it a few weeks ago. I got the bike all apart last weekend and spent parts of last week and a lot of this weekend getting it cleaned up and re-greased. I discovered upon closer inspection that the bike had been re-painted, that the chainring, front wheel, fenders, saddle, and possibly handlebars, had all been replaced at some point. The only clue was the mismatched bottom bracket bearing cartridges, one marked "Schwinn 64" and the other "Wald 66". I don't know what happened to the bike, but it must have gotten pretty beat up. I called my Dad up and asked him and he claims to not remember. Anyway, got it back together last night and took it for a cruise this morning. Rides great, aside from the rear wheel needing a truing badly. Here are the pics:

I removed the reflective tape, but I wasn't going to mess with the paintjob. Rear fender is from a different bike because it doesn't quite fit.
2341367734_9ec9d16b9d.jpg

I love these bars, can't tell if they are original. Grips are Sears. Stem bolt was missing but there are other forces at work, those bars wouldn't budge with all my weight on them:
2340534551_546d954b3a.jpg

A glittery Hawthorne saddle, not sure where my Dad got this:
2341367966_3487006a6b.jpg

What looks like a Columbia chainring:
2340535571_5365944c91.jpg

Dad's custom headbadge, a work of art in my opinion:
2341368594_ca0c64a569.jpg

The front wheel is marked "Made in Germany", front fender is a rear fender chopped in half.
2340537213_51e512f206.jpg

So, I am stoked to have this thing fixed up, as original as when my Dad last rode it (unless one of my uncles messed with it after my dad was done with it), because it means I can move on to the next bike in the pile! :wink:

Thanks guys :)

Yeah, I guess my dad was into rat rod bikes long before the invention of the internet, let alone this website. And don't worry, I had long ago decided to try and preserve the bike just as it was over 40 years ago. Messing with it now would be disrespectful!

what if you move the rear fenders struts and put them on the wheels axel? if they fit it might make the fender fit better :p

this bike is killer either way tho :D

you're probably right Joshua, just as you were right when you said that this bike would probably ride like a champ when cleaned up (on the facebook bike app). I just mounted the fender back the way my Dad had mounted it, and didn't even think to change the mounting. The only problem is the top fender bolt, attached to the seatstays, it's kinda at an angle because the hole doesn't line up quite right. I don't want to torque it more than necessary. But I'll probably leave it as it is for now, It doesn't really bother me to have that extra room for the tire :)

My girlfriend was visiting this weekend and the weather was nice so we went for a cruise, and I put some miles on my Dad's bike.

Here I am riding it across America:

2373192066_1588c6d719_b.jpg

Coast to Coast

2372353985_0f96869057.jpg

I moved the rear fender brace and it seems to fit better, right again Joshua!

2372359701_4a45366ce4.jpg

My girlfriend was riding her favorite bike, My first bicycle, the Silver Bullet

2373206842_be8f131f8e.jpg

Then we switched, and she tried out the '57. She loved it!

2372366265_cebe296a5e.jpg

Who can blame her. What's not to love?

2373210894_4e0ed5f13c.jpg

Time to cruise on home

One more beauty shot:
2372366931_fab6109250_b.jpg

Ok I may be wrong but your chrainring looks like the first schwinn krate version.. Somebody help us out on this please.

FaceOFFbikes said:
Ok I may be wrong but your chrainring looks like the first schwinn krate version.. Somebody help us out on this please.

Could be, but it should say sprint on it if so but not certain

66 fastback
AUG66FASTBACK5SPDBLACK.jpg

Im likin' your Dads 'time capsule' bike!

And I will agree,I wouldnt change a thing on it.

Latest posts

Back