my 50s strait bar rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok,
i have finally got my rat pics to photobucket. here is my rat. she started as a rust bucket, but i changed her into a classic rat. i might add a chainguard and other little things l8tr on, but for now, here she is...
oh yeah, her name is:
STRAIT RAT

ratrodbikeondeck.jpg

ratrodbikeontree.jpg

i will download more of my bikes here when i get them on my puter

Good God!!!!
Those are the biggest apes I have ever seen. I think they rock :mrgreen:

I love that saddle. Is that a brooks?
And the Apes are insane. You could stretch some fabric across them and use it as a sail.
What type of tires are those?

tnt1 said:
Jimbo that is a 30s/40s straight bar because it has rear dropouts and adjusters t/y Tony 8)

Looking a little bit further, the seatpost bolt is a "through the frame" one... That ain't no 50's!!

Loking a little bit further, that is one VERY nice ride! :mrgreen:

Lovin' them apes!
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

BEAUTIFUL!....Just make sure you use DEODORANT before you ride it. :lol: ........... I really like the look!

You'll be knockin' baby birds out of the trees with those bars. Classy bike.

rat royale said:
tnt1 said:
Jimbo that is a 30s/40s straight bar because it has rear dropouts and adjusters t/y Tony 8)

Looking a little bit further, the seatpost bolt is a "through the frame" one... That ain't no 50's!!

Loking a little bit further, that is one VERY nice ride! :mrgreen:

Lovin' them apes!
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Thanks for the posts. those hangers take a bit of time to get use to, but it is not as bad as i thought that it would be. also, the ape hangers are wider than they are tall. if i remember correctly they are 3 ft wide by 2.75 feet high...or something like that.
as for the frame, i looked up the number and i thought that it was a 50s or so, i could be wrong. as for the seat post, i cut it out that way to make the seat post slide in, then i welded the seat post in there (dont know why, i just wanted to weld something and it was the nearest thing that i had at the time). so the bolt is actually fake, it just looks like it.
i have since taken it apart and redid the paint. it will be on the second maiden voyage in about 2 weeks.
oh yeah, the sprocket was a toatally custom one that i got for a song ($25)from Nachomis cycle in minneapolis a few years ago. he said that the manufacturer built a few of these to see if people liked them. they may now be mass produced, dont know.

i cant remember where i put the before photo. i will check my stack of crud collecting in my "storage" area. but it started out as a junk project, and turned into what we have now. the frame was beat up and dented, and needed lots of love. i gave it to her the way she "told" me to make her. i think i speak for most rat builders, the car just talks to you and you build it to their specks.
i am going to start a build shortly of a 50's monark. i think it is gonna be a woody/board tracker style. but as the frame talks, i MUST listen!

GTCOMA said:
I love that saddle. Is that a brooks?
And the Apes are insane. You could stretch some fabric across them and use it as a sail.
What type of tires are those?

it is a brooks. i got it for a good deal from a dude in denver (cant remember the name of the bicycle shop though). i think i pain about $70 for it, brand new. i did have to wait a lot longer than i should have for it, but it looks great.
the tires and wheels are all nirve. cant recall where i got em though.

Back