Murray built Flying O 0769

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this Flying-O frame in a scrap pile at my brother in-laws. He couldn't believe I wanted it and I couldn't believe someone would throw it away. Here is what it looked like when I got it.

Murray-FlyingO1.jpg

Murray-FlyingO2.jpg

It was pretty rusty and I thought about just clear coating everything, but I decided to use steel wool to remove some of the rust. I eneded up with a combination of rust, original red paint, and bare metal. I like the way it looked so I clear coated it. Here it is mocked up with the wheels from one of my other bikes and a set of apes.

Murray-FlyingO9.jpg

I liked the red wheels and white wall tires, but the tires didn't fit the fenders. I found a couple of narrower tires and another set of wheels. I also decided to use different bars since most of my other bikes have ape hangers. Here is what it looks like now.

Murray-FlyingO10.jpg

Murray-FlyingO11.jpg

Murray-FlyingO12.jpg

Murray-FlyingO13.jpg

I am calling it done for now, but I might buy a set of 1.75 X 26 white walls when I can afford them and paint the wheels red.

maddogrider said:
I like those axle nuts on the back wheel
or are they on the fender?

They are cabinet knobs and they are holding the fender struts. I had them on the fornt forks of my other bike viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12485 but took them off when I swicthed forks. Glad everyone likes it and thanks the feedback.

Thats my favorite style handle bar (north roads?), I think they look great on everything but my road bike. Great looking bike. I wish I could find junk piles with those in them.

Back