Motorized Bicycle Resurrection

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a question for you. If I weld motor mounts to my bike could I get away with putting a flat piece of rubber (3/8" thick or so) in between the motor and frame? And would that lessen the vibes any?

ANY rubber will be prone to broken mounting bolts and the such. I am dead against it BUT some do it and get away with it. There is just to much vibration in these china girls starting at the core engine parts. Just my opinion.

slowriderz said:
ANY rubber will be prone to broken mounting bolts and the such. I am dead against it BUT some do it and get away with it. There is just to much vibration in these china girls starting at the core engine parts. Just my opinion.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks. I am still thinking of welding plates on the outside of the frame because with the "clamp" style mounting it still allows side to side play (theoretically). I have seen a custom mount, but does anyone make and sell a top mount? That would pretty much eliminate any possible side to side movement.

Alright, so what is this adjustment screw for?

carby.jpg

I welded mounting bars in my current build and it does not move around a bit. I know there are a ton of sites that sell different mounting hardware but I like to weld mine in if the bike allows. I am sure that if I were using a super nice Felt frame or the likes I would not be welding on it and would be buying / making custom mounts.

yoothgeye said:
Alright, so what is this adjustment screw for?

carby.jpg

That is the idle adjustment screw and the little button next to it is the tickler / primer ( pretty un effective ). With your bike running, adjust the screw in or out to get the desired idle.

slowriderz said:
That is the idle adjustment screw and the little button next to it is the tickler / primer ( pretty un effective ). With your bike running, adjust the screw in or out to get the desired idle.

You wouldn't happen to know from memory if right=higher left=lower or what? Can I use this knob to make it idle since it doesn't at this time?

Going to check on some synthetic oils today or tomorrow.

gcrank1 said:
Any idea if it is an air screw or gas screw?

Idle set screw, now the bike idles.

Been riding as much as I can, it's been breaking in really well, and I check the big bolts (engine mounts, sprocket, tensioner) but haven't been paying enough attention to small ones. Today it started bogging down BAD, I stopped and looked the the cinch bolt holding the carburetor on came loose and the carb was coming off and letting air in. Pretty sure it fouled my plug, so I bought a new one. I limped home, but only after it ran really good for a couple miles and rattled the air cleaner off. Oops.

Lots of tinkering with these things, but I'm getting more and more comfortable with it and it's worth it.

It is likely an idle mixture screw (rather than an idle speed screw which would adjust the slide height alone) that either flows gas or air into the carb and it is sometimes helpful (for me anyway) to know up front which it flows for the mix tuning. Since there may be one of these in my future Im trying to bone up on whats happenin'.

Thats definitely the idle speed adjustment screw when you turn it right it raises the throttle slide, having built 4 of these bikes I can tell you. Turn it right = higher idle turn it left = lower idle. I keep mine unscrewed 3.5 -4.5 turns from all the way closed. Just mess with it you'll get it right by ear :D.

ETHANSFBIKES said:
Thats definitely the idle speed adjustment screw when you turn it right it raises the throttle slide, having built 4 of these bikes I can tell you. Turn it right = higher idle turn it left = lower idle. I keep mine unscrewed 3.5 -4.5 turns from all the way closed. Just mess with it you'll get it right by ear :D.

What he said.

It just keeps the slider from dropping all the way down.

Thanx for the clarification; although it 'looks' like a typical mixture screw, like the older engines Im familiar with, these must use a fixed jet for idle now (or maybe an adj.screw under a plug). Anyway, I know more now than I did :)

Today I went to NAPA and bought a 4 pack of #41 chain universal links for $2. In stock. Awesome, so I can take off my #41/415bmx Frankenstein chain and roll with smooth chain again.

Then I went to the motorcycle shop next door where my friend works looking for some full synthetic 2 cycle oil. He showed me some pricey stuff on the shelf then took me in the back. They had bought out a Polaris dealership that closed and he had some 2 cycle full synthetic Polaris atv/watercraft/snowmobile oil back in a box. The boss said I could get it for $5/quart. I got a quart and while checking out another salesman pointed out that it was formulated to smell like bubble gum, so that has me pretty excited.

I also got the correct spark plug and picked up a Moose handlebar with pad off the shelf for $19. Just like the bar on the bike now, but uncut and pretty green.

slowriderz said:
Bubble gum scented oil!!!! :D That would be great. I am stoked to hear that you are getting it worked out and having fun. I sure love all of mine and I am thinking about starting another soon.

I have seen other oils and additives that are scented, some like strawberry, some banana, but they are high priced. I'll let you know when I start burning this stuff.

I just read a bunch of threads in different snowmobile forums talking about Polaris Ves Gold and there are obviously some arguments on what is best but everyone seems to agree that it is overpriced ($36-$40 a gallon) but since I paid $5 a quart, I'm good compared to the $15 quarts of whatever full synthetic Walmart has. They all also agree that it smells great! (I can't take it from them since they ride in lines behind other skis). Only one person identified the smell, and he said it smells like strawberries. I gotta mix some up SOON!

Latest posts

Back