montgomery mystery!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody. recently ive come across an old montgomery ward electric assist adult tricycle. at first i was going to visit a few bicycle shops and just throw some new parts on it, but after a little research and discovering that my 3 wheeler might be allot older then i had first imagined, i decided to do a professional restoration as apposed to the handy man special. upon 3 days of research ive learned that there were about 10 different companies that produced bikes for montgomery ward and each company has their own records of vin #s. i have searched all of them and not found any matching vin numbers :( was wondering if anybody could enlighten me as to what company actually created this 3 wheeler. before i start any restoration i need to know as much as possible as to not ruin my build below are pictures i have uploaded. in advance, i appreciate any responses! thanks for reading, and happy cycling!!!

montward1.jpg

montward2.jpg

mwemblemfront.jpg

montward3.jpg

MWgearshift.jpg

MWchainguard.jpg

MWemblem.jpg

MWseat.jpg

mwRR.jpg

MWHUB.jpg

MWVIN.jpg

hope the pictures help :)

The sprocket is Huffy, but it may have been rebuilt in the past and changed out. I'd guess the trike is from the 60's.

things i forgot to mention. the gear on the back says 3SC shimano japan. the pedals have " WALD 6140 " engraved into the metal. on one of the metal screw clamps that hold the wires to the frame says murray on it. tires are 24 x 1.75 size, also there is no name on the chain guard or headband. there seems to be no other engraved numbers on the bike, checked with a magnifying glass lol.

That foil headbadge didn't appear until the 1970s. It was used after they dropped the Hawthorne name in the early 70s.

Don't have a clue who made it though. The chainwheel is Huffy as pointed out, but the rest of the bike does not look very Huffy, especially the forged fork.

Id say Huffy too, and most all Montgomary Wards bikes were made by either Huffy, Murray or HP Snyder and I know it isn't the last two. Doesn't look very Huffy to me either, but eith did my 84' Open Road, also built by Huffy. Cool trike reguardless. Good luck on parts for that electric assist. Personally, i'd throw in a motor in wheel 600W front moterized wheel for some new assist. 8)

Latest posts

Back