**MONSTER HIGGINS** 7/20 update HEADBADGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
010-1.jpg
here we go :mrgreen: my first build off bike :mrgreen: starting with a bike i bought at the midwest swap meet. It is a J C Higgins that I was told was built by Monark My inspiration is one of my favorite local builders you know him as aka_locojoe :mrgreen: two of his bikes have inspired me from the first bike i am useing the rustoleum textured paint, and from the second bike i am useing the 24 x 3 tires and maybe the tank plate :mrgreen: :mrgreen: also a jocky shift 3 speed will find its way onto the bike
IMG_9189.jpg
jan_2009-1.jpg

Re: **MONSTER HIGGINS**

Do you know what year your Higgy is? Mine is a '56 strike bike made in West Germany. Mine has tank and truss rods, all original. I am working on it in tandem with this build-off.

The guy i bought it from is a local bike guru and he said the back half of the frame and chain ring are Monark he said he thinks Monark made bikes for J C Higgins a couple of years during a strike. what i have found is Monark quit building ballooners in 1954 so it should be early 50s but I am far from an expert :lol: there is a plate on the bottom bracket i will have to research the serial #

Nice frame to start with...
I just picked up what I think is one of those cranks... Monster 51 tooth sprocket...
Good Luck

How about this, leave the rims tireless, build a single rail track in your back yard ... get the picture? Any who, welcome to the bike build off.

ndaway said:
here we go :mrgreen: my first build off bike :mrgreen: starting with a bike i bought at the midwest swap meet. It is a J C Higgins that I was told was built by Monark 8)
010-1.jpg
011.jpg
012-1.jpg
My inspiration is one of my favorite local builders you know him as aka_locojoe :mrgreen: two of his bikes have inspired me
IMG_9189.jpg
jan_2009-1.jpg
from the first bike i am useing the rustoleum textured paint ( a different color tho) and from the second bike i am useing the 24 x 3 tires and maybe the tank plate :mrgreen: :mrgreen: also a jocky shift 3 speed will find its way onto the bike

ndaway, I wanted that bike. I've got twin girls and need a 2nd project - they don't want to share :lol: Unfortunately for me you had beat me to the punch at the swap meet. Doh! Have fun, I'm sure you'll create something outstanding. Look forward to seeing it "done".

Clark

I like what I see so far :mrgreen:

Thats cool you are using a couple of Loco Joe's bikes for inspiration!

rooting for the local guy :D Dont forget your friendly local bike guys if you need anything. I wont be entering so your welcome to rifle thru my meager pile o goodies.

Sleeper Sedan said:
ndaway, I wanted that bike. I've got twin girls and need a 2nd project - they don't want to share :lol: Unfortunately for me you had beat me to the punch at the swap meet. Doh! Have fun, I'm sure you'll create something outstanding. Look forward to seeing it "done".

Clark
Thanks and Sorry I was on a mission that morning to find a cool frame that could Handle a 3 inch wide back tire :p

Ratfink1962 said:
rooting for the local guy :D Dont forget your friendly local bike guys if you need anything. I wont be entering so your welcome to rifle thru my meager pile o goodies.

Same goes for me. These guys will tell you, I always have cool tchotchkes that help set a bike apart.

Latest posts

Back