Monark Board Track Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have some new spokes, so I needed to stripe the S-2's. Hopefully, by the end of the weekend I'll have the wheels all laced up.
b84df173-d59e-67b0.jpg

I finished lacing up the rims with some new stainless steel spokes. The front wheel is using the Schwinn script hub that it came with, and the rear is laced to a new Shimano coaster brake hub. Wrapped with Quick Bricks and waiting for the rest of the bike to be finished.
b84df173-19c0-36d9.jpg

Any updates on the monark? Looked like an amazing start. Would like to see some more pictures.

Well, it's kind of stalled right now. Between vacations, work, and my dad's back problems, it hasn't got much attention. I may end up having to braze the tank up myself with my dad coaching me. I'll try and post some progress within the next couple of weeks. *Hoping*

Well, I'm changing this up a bit so I can finish it. Bailing on the idea of motorizing it, and completing it as a sweet pedal-powered board track racer. Plans are to quickly sell it as I'm going to need funds to finish a couple of prewar Schwinns for my wife and I - my Grandfather's 1938 Schwinn Motorbike (springer front end, tank with the door on it) that's been a little scavenged for parts, and a ladies 1934 Excelsior. Also in the funnel is a 30s ladies Silver King that I just acquired the forks for from another RRB member :)

RestoRodSchwinn said:
scott brownsey said:
goodluck sounds like some cool projects
Yeah, now if I could just find a little more time. :?

Time is hard to come by around here also :roll:

keep up the great work!

Thanks for the "atta boy", Skipton! Going to pick up some fresh inspiration, motivation, and maybe even some much needed parts at the Seattle Old Bike Swap this Sunday. Only a few items needed to get the Monark on the road.

I got the frame back from my dad and did a quick mock-up. Happy with what I see. He brazed some fillets at the head tube and bottom bracket to strengthen the frame, so I just have to clean those up and the frame and fork are off to the powdercoater's.
47d411e9-5580-eae0.jpg
47d411e9-5592-93bd.jpg

So, I have just about all the parts needed to assemble this thing except for the seat. I just can't decide what type to use. I have a thing for Brooks saddles (and others built like them). I have a preference for springs on this one, and like them with some patina, but not broken down and water damaged. I know I've passed on some pretty good saddles in the for sale section recently, but I'm waiting for that "perfect" throne. Well, I don't have to make a final decision until I've finished with paint and assembly. I hate indecision!!

Latest posts

Back