Modified Monark

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this frame from goldz56 a while back and didn't have time to work on it much until now. (http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2943)
I was thinking about entering it in the build off, but..... I couldn't fit a 3" tire between the stays without using a BIG hammer, so I cut the stays off the frame and cut them in half, machined some 3/4" spacers and brazed everything back together. So... Modified Monark = no buildoff :(
Here's what I've got so far...

detail of finished, widened seatstays..
HarleyFrame005.jpg

frame sporting 26x3 kendas
HarleyFrame008.jpg

and of course the 26" apes!

three speed sturmey-archer w/Budzilla's 8-Ball dropouts mocked up (thank's Budz!)
HarleyFrame007.jpg

....and my shifter!
HarleyFrame010.jpg

The shifter, a nexus 3-speed, will be mounted at the bottom of the seat tube with an extended aluminum rod coming up above the top tube with the 8-ball mounted on it.

The bike will eventually be painted HOK Pagan Gold metalflake with gloss black scallops and an eight-ball theme (obviously!) I'm thinkin' about a white leather tuck and roll saddle w/white grips..... any suggestions??
Cheers,
Ron

It's been a while, but finally got some time to work on the Monark..... Slapped a temporary paint job on it as I haven't yet had a chance to get Budz' Eight Ball dropouts welded on. Good thing, too! I was practicing pinstriping on the top tube, (I haven't pulled a line in 30 yrs.!) and didn't like what I'd layed down, so.... I was wiping with what turned out to be lacquer thinner! not mineral spirits..... bummer... Well, Here's the latest.....
internal cable routing for the disc brake...
monark2002.jpg

Reshaped and recovered saddle with hand-made lay-back seatpost and the shifter for the sturmey three...
monark2003.jpg

I think the stance is pretty cool and the painted rock shox works well with the bobber look.....
monark2001.jpg

Just the other side........
monark2004.jpg

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving !!!
Ron

Can we see a close-up of how you did your shifter? maybe a how-to?
Been wanting a "suicide" shift and am gathering ideas.

tomb said:
Can we see a close-up of how you did your shifter? maybe a how-to?
Been wanting a "suicide" shift and am gathering ideas.
Hey Tomb, The shifter was pretty easy. I was looking for an alloy shimano SIS indexed 7-speed, but only found the resin model. I just drilled out the end of the handle and tapped 3/8"-16 to accept a 3/8" aluminum rod threaded on both ends. The resin doesn't hold as tightly as an alloy shifter would, so I had to add a set screw into the aluminum rod.

maniac008.jpg

maniac007.jpg

monark2003.jpg

The tough part was getting the cable pull correct. Since I'm using a Sturmey three speed, I had to increase the amount of cable pulled with each indexed click. I used a piece of 12 gauge copper wire, stripped, and epoxied it into the groove the cable normally runs in. This increased the pull just enough to get all three gears. When I mounted the shifter on the seat tube, I made sure it was rotated so the shifter stop was all the way forward, I had three full clicks, and that the seat tube acted like the rear stop. It took a little Freak-Tweakin' but works really well. Just play around and it will work out for you as well... Ride Hard!!
Ron

Thanks for the nice response bro. Very nice setup, and so easy!

garylee said:
What model Kendas are those tires? I need me some.

They are Kenda Kraze, 26 x 3's, Very Fat and Very Plush!
Just be sure you have enough space between the rear stays !

Choppernite17002.jpg

I cut this frame apart and widened the seat stays and chainstays a full inch to gain tire clearance...
This stuff is so much fun.... :mrgreen:
Later, Ron

xddorox said:
Great job Ron. That bike is wicked. How does it handle with just the front disc brake?
The Sturmey rear is a coaster, but I usually use the front. Florida's pretty flat, you know...... lol
The 3" wide Kendas are amazingly plush, it feels like a motorcycle once it gets rolling....
Ride on!!

love the bike and the shifter is very trick. that is an interesting idea i never thought of that. i am working with a friend currently on making an aftermarket suicide shifter at least for the nexus 3. there has to be a way to make a nice one that does not cost an arm and a leg. sweet bike love the frame mods very well hidden looks stock

Awesome stance with no unnecesary crap. Beautiful! What's going on with Billy Lane down there?

Thanks Guys, for the positive remarks. ej, things with Billy aren't looking good, the charges from the thing in No. Carolina were dropped, but this one's gonna stick. HARD. He's cutting back on inventory and planning on moving to a smaller, less expensive location for the duration.... Haven't talked to him in a couple of weeks, but I know he's really dreading everything coming his way...
Keep him in your thoughts.

Ride Hard!!
Ron

Nice modification to the frame with the widening and dropouts. Those 26x3 are wicked on that.

Back