Mod To Rocker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are the only pictures I have of this bike right now. It is a 1963 Phillips. My goal is to make a bobber style British Rat with it and do so without spending a dime on it. I have plenty of parts to experiment with. Im a little tired of restorations right now so this one will be something different. Since I do not own any fat tire bikes, I chose this one for the cool frame design.

Phillips.jpg

034.jpg

Just saw one of these bikes for the first time, in a Disabled Veteran's store here. It is pretty beat up and the price on it is $99.00. They have a new manager at the store who looks up every bike that comes in and prices it according to his search. No more cheap nuggets there anymore. I thought the top bar was bent as result of a mishap with the bike, on closer inspection, that is the way it is suppose to be. Will make an interesting build for sure.

JoKeR63 said:
A hump-back, awesome. 8) That is one rare bike.

Yes, this one is pretty rare. All original parts will be set aside and saved for a future restoration back to original. i need a cool funky bike for the Denver Cruiser season so this will be it for the summer.

Good to see you in the build off John.I have a soft spot for lighweights.They are just so easy to ride all day long.I'll be keeping an eye on this one.I live in Aurora,so if you need anything,let me know.Good luck!

OK. So I dug it out of the pile today. As you can see its a mess. I was comparing it to another Phillips I have and the parts removed from this one will be a great help in the restoration of the other one. Let the build off begin!

003-4.jpg

002-9.jpg

001-8.jpg

Re: Mod To Rocker: The Teardown

Its on the stand ready for teardown
004-3.jpg

Gonna need some Whitworth sized tools
005-2.jpg

The Original Phillips headlight bracket will be utilized
006-3.jpg

Also keeping the original chainring
007-4.jpg

Making Progress
008-3.jpg

Time to get those individual bearings out. That will happen in the next session
009-3.jpg

The frame will be polished out, there is some overspray on the left stays that I hope comes off. also, I will have to buy tires and tubes. The tire and tube I was going to use for the front is dryrotted, the rear tire and tube are too wide for the frame. Its a 2.1 and just barely rubs in the frame so Im going to go with a 1.75

I couldn't leave it alone for today, I found a rotted 24 by 1.75 tire to try and it fits on the back so that's good to know before buying a new tire and tube. The fork I was planning to use wont fit so the stock one will stay. Basically it will have Apes, a hairpin seat, chrome chainguard, chrome pump, no fenders, stock front wheel and a 24 on the rear with a 24 by 1.75 tire. Maybe some mod parts too, have to see what Ratdaddy has in his stash. It will only be a mild custom but is still a fun alternative to all the restorations Ive been doing.

It will only be a mild custom but is still a fun alternative to all the restorations Ive been doing.[/quote]

A good imagination is a terrible thing to waste :!:

Ive been playing with some parts today and have to change my plans a little for this bike. instead of the hairpin seat, Im going with an older white seat, white pedals, and the original white grips on apehangers. The fork and seat I had planned to use wont work on it. oh well, it will still be fun. I just have to clean and polish the parts when I get time.

Okay, I dig old English bikes with cool chainrings, so you earn the nightly Spinal Tap back page bump.
Whatcha got new for us? Are you gonna add a fatty "Big Bottom" tire.
"How could I leave this behind..."

Latest posts

Back