making a seat pan to upholster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have this old Persons seat,
IMG-20111209-00146.jpg

I want to cover it. But, there's no pan to attach the leather to. I trying to think of things I could build one out of...fiberglass? Would definitely work, but, can I staple to it?? I don't think so (not 100% sure on that though). So, I thought, "what about paper mache?" It's easy, way cheaper than glass, and, from what I read, it can be as strong and as easy to work with as wood.
Has anybody attempted this? And, to what results?

It can be done with your original pan...

Get a piece of thin leather.GoodWill/Thrift Store store jacket is a good cheap choice.

Cut it apart at the seams.

Use the coat liner as a seat pad.

Use 3M Contact Adhesive to "glue" it all together.(Its used to glue vinyl tops on cars.)

I've done it in the past.It works Real Good!

Also, you can get a pad at WalMart used for putting under a sleeping bag. 1/2" thick closed cell foam. One pad will do a bunch of seats. I use contact cement to stick everything down. Gary
DSC03459.jpg

DSC03858.jpg

B607 said:
Also, you can get a pad at WalMart used for putting under a sleeping bag. 1/2" thick closed cell foam. One pad will do a bunch of seats. I use contact cement to stick everything down. Gary
DSC03459.jpg

DSC03858.jpg
That looks pretty nice! That looks like just the right amount of padding too.

dumpster dive a carpet store and get a piece of recycled carpet foam, works great for seat pads, ive done it for motorcycle seats, i glue 3 or 4 together and use an electric knife to cut it the a sander to shape. for a pan you can a piece of sheet metal and use the lower pan for a shaper, just pound it out and cut to fit. doesnt have to be exact since your covering it any ways just dont forget to cut the little tabs to stick through your lower pan to bend over it.

Back