lowering the rear of a bike, for free with no welding.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last of of today.
on your way home, find a rusty, completely shot brake pad
last001.jpg

clean it up
last002.jpg

bolt it on
last003.jpg

and in five minuites, your bike sits afew inches lower, and is a tad bit longer.
last004.jpg

you will have to drill a hole in the"bracket" to bolt it in a second place, just so it stays
oooooor, add a spring from the bottom of the bracket to somewhere on the frame, and you can now have a full suspension bike.

ive just wondered why the fronts of bikes are always lowered ,but not the back. found a solution. :mrgreen:

chain clearence was my first thought honestly. but it seems to not be all that bad.
005-2.jpg

004.jpg

it does rub a little, but i believe thats just because there is onyl one side. once i find anouther pad, and add some washers (to mahe up for the width of the frame) it should be fine.

harquahalas said:
This looks like a really cool idea. I wonder if it will stay in position well for riding?
fixed that to! i drilled a hole through the brake pad that lines up with the stock hole for the rear fender. put a grade 8 bolt through, and wallah! no longer has a pivot point.

snydur said:
harquahalas said:
This looks like a really cool idea. I wonder if it will stay in position well for riding?
fixed that to! i drilled a hole through the brake pad that lines up with the stock hole for the rear fender. put a grade 8 bolt through, and wallah! no longer has a pivot point.

Perfect! All bases covered :D

harquahalas said:
snydur said:
harquahalas said:

Perfect! All bases covered :D
now all i got to do is find a pair of brake pads so i can do both sides, and ride this. :mrgreen:

I'm going to dig for a pair of junk pads -This looks like a perfect fit for my current project.

i went to the store today and bought afe washers. added two washers on each side of the axle to bing the wheel over, and everything lines up prefectly. maybe even better than before. i think i have 5 bucks in this so far (bought new nuts, bolts, washers, etc)

well this is about it, untill i can find a pair of old brake pads (harder than i thought it would be). tubes are on and it, and the bike still sits knee high at the handle bars (im 6'1") washers are on and it lines up perfectly. i put a spacer to mock up where the wheel would be when the other side is done, and everything went perfect.
001-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

previously mentioned spacer/tail light off a trailor
006-2.jpg

shorter grade 8 bolts so i dont jab my leg into the sides. and i got to admit it looks pretty .... good.

if anyone has found a pair and bolted them on, please feel free to post pictures for the rest of us. thanks :D

someguy83 said:
Are you using the same length of chain as previous or did you have to add a few links? You gave me a great idea thanks 8)
ooooh! dur. yes i did add some links. 12 to be exact (may be less if anyone else does it, cause i also took the chain off a bike with smaller sprocket)

Now thats perfect material for front suspension links!

002-3.jpg

$3.49 at ace. comes in about a 1 foot length.
001-4.jpg

cut in half ( bought two cause i dont know why)
005-3.jpg

and wallah! bolt the rear on, and your good. and yes it does work. i rode my bike for a good two miles today and i had no problems at all. just make sure all the bolts fit tight, so theres no wiggle room. and also, you could buy two and use 4 holes, insted of three, but you would need a shorter crank, im making sparks witht eh pedals right now.

THIS! Is a great idea! me and my two bros came up with something just like this....but as wittle boys we didnt know how to get rid of the pivoting! it was fun to slooooowly cruise in front of our friends 8)

hi i'm new here, i just bought a set of wheels with 14mm axles (for a 3/8 frame) and i couldnt figure out a "cool" way to make them fit without tearing them or the frame up, looks like i found a way, thanks!

Latest posts

Back