1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice

looking for a new chainguard

Discussion in 'BIKE TALK' started by Bicycle808, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Bicycle808

Bicycle808

I put together my Schwinn straightbar (sort of) and I'm thinking I want a chainguard for it. Seems to be a 1950s bike; it has the chainguard boss coming off the BB shell at maybe 1:00 and the other one is set way back on the chainstay, near the drop-outs. Measures about 17.5" between the two holes. Any leads on a generic one, preferably black or raw or painted/powdered any OTHER color, so I can paint it? (Hate painting over chrome...)

I'm mostly looking for a generic, aftermarket, cheap thing...

Thanks!
    -rob

2. deorman

deorman

Can probably find a cool used one in the "swap meet". The aftermarket stuff I've come across is either chrome or plastic.

3. Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Yeah, i put a few feelers out on some... do all 26" schwinns take the same guard? How careful do i need to be about fit? Mine is a 26" balloon hornet/spitfire straightbar frame...

Thanks for the advice...I avoid plastic at all costs.
    -rob

4. aka_locojoe

aka_locojoe

You can make most any chain guard work as long as it's big enough for your sprocket. I do this frequently and just make brackets for either end if need be.

5. Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Yeah, I saw that ad.... I think a few of those would work, but I don't know what I'd do with the 19 left over!

Yeah, I thought about that, but I'd rather have something that bolts right on. Going for a cleaner look on this build....still got a long ways to go.... :shock:

I'm thinking this might be the ticket:
    http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55905

-rob