loco gringo ( like a party )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I'm 5 days late for the deadline of the great RRBBO2. :( I tryed like heck to get this thing done in time but it fought me the entire time. (always, I repeat always mock up first!) anyways here it goes... 100th annversary schwinn frame, dyno forks and monark struts. messenger seat and some kool knobbies.

006-3.jpg

"south of the border" brown and "guacamole green". (my inspiration for the color choice was the Jake's Rakes sedan)

010-4.jpg

009-3.jpg

here's the mock up

033-1.jpg

032.jpg

here's a primer shot. I wanted to give the frame a textured look. (kinda like a crusty patina look) so I primed it, shot the flex-stone over top, then more brown primer over top of that. well... the finished product looked like a nestle crunch bar (or kinda like a nutty turd)! not kool! so the following day, I started sanding it down and while sanding, the white flex-stone started coming through. It was actually the look I that I really wanted so I ran with it.

thanksgiving07locogringo076.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo078.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo084.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo077.jpg

mexican blanket seat cover!!...this IS ratrodbikes.com you know. what Rat Rod isnt complete without a mexican blanket :p

thanksgiving07locogringo079.jpg

i just used some spray adhesive and got to wrappin'

thanksgiving07locogringo082.jpg

then I had a bright idea... I should run a banana seat instead (and this is what kicked me in the butt)

thanksgiving07locogringo086.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo088.jpg

the stupid seat is too short! I shouldve mocked it up first! what an idiot. so anyways, back to the solo seat

thanksgiving07locogringo091.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo092.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo096.jpg

and now...drum roll please...I present to you...the Loco Gringo...

thanksgiving07locogringo108.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo109.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo113.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo115.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo097.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo105.jpg

latin gang style graffiti and the "crusty patina" look

thanksgiving07locogringo111.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo102.jpg

thanksgiving07locogringo101.jpg

its been fun! now its time to ride it till the wheels fall off :mrgreen:

Iff U really like the banana seat [i do] cut the loop off and run the sissy bar legs under the seat
or what iff you drilled holes in the frame some were to mount the clamps forward?? :mrgreen:
just a couple of quick ideas

very well done but are we really allowed to say "south of the border" brown? :shock:

i agree i like the bannana seat too that looks like a really small one there are larger ones for 26 inch bikes. or as mentioned move the anchor points up the frame with clamps and cut the top of the loop off. although the loop of the bar would be a cool place to hang a sombraro :D man you need to come out next year for my bike and car clubs big show in may it is going to be theamed day of the dead because it falls the week before. neat bike dig the wheels

It looks old and fast just sitting there. Very creative use of materials(paint and seat cover)

The paint technique is very cool...sort of an instant rusty patina look.

The texture is perfect to give it that really old weathered oxidizing feel.

can you move the seatpost bracket further forward on the pan? that would make the effective lenght of the seat farther back.

I like that a lot! I had wondered how a Mexican blanket seat would look...it is way cool.
Could you use a layback bmx style seatpost to get the banana seat back far enough? Or maybe do a little cutting and welding to create a layed back post?

thanx for all the positive feedback guys! it means alot to me. :mrgreen: the thing with the sissybar is that, it was crunch time. it was thursday nite and I only had a couple of hours till the deadline. I got it mounted and it just totally bummed me out. I still had plenty of other crap to do so I just pressed on. I thought about cuttin the loop off and mounting it under the seat but I wasnt sure if I was going to jeopardize the integrity of the sissybar. in other words, with my weight on the seat, is it gonna want to shift from side to side as I ride? this was something that I didnt really want to experiment with my strutted sissybar. but the more I look at the pictures, I think I might wanna find a longer banana seat to tinker with. thanx again guys!

Now with the extra bannana seat you can do another bike to match, just a smaller version! :mrgreen: Very nice bike though, I love the fleck paint idea. Very nice

The bike looks great. Nice job of taking some shots of it in front of what looks to be a Mexican restaurant.

Markm, great idea on using a mountain bike extender to build a set back seat post. I think I have some of those laying around so I need to check that out sometime.

totally sweet...and actually rat rod looking.....(unlike some......*fade out mumbles lol*.....)
i love it man....if u had have made it in time AND had a riding pic u would have gotten my vote for sure!

That is awesome man! I love the seat cover. I might just have to do that sometime. Great job.

Back