Let's see your Pashley Guv'nor style bikes!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went through this thread for the first time... and well OK, it's not my cup of tea (pun intended, Mum!), but man some of these bikes are well... elegant!
Very Lands End/Eddie Bauer catalog looking (Not meant to be an insult!), lots of really nice ornamental stuff going into these. "Quaint New England Cool" is what I believe would summarize it.

My 1961 Hopper Tour Anglais Prima Frame pedals head and crank set
Sturmey Archer hubs
2 speed kb with coaster brake on the back
Alex Chrome rims
Bontrager 700x38 tires with knobby treads
Brooks b135
Chrome Chain
Felt Bars
unknown stem
Bontrager grips
I can also loosen the back wheel and use either front sprocket .
I think Bike was originally a 6 speed
Sheldon Brown said his Tour Anglais Prima was his first good bike
Not some of my best photography

I call this bike the Cycopath Racer

IMG_6745_zps9c45054b.jpg

IMG_6744_zpsc45ef49b.jpg

IMG_6742_zps3b96bf3a.jpg

Last edited:
Greeting from Ukraine ! (Lviv city) ! Accept my "Guvnor-style" ... "BeerBike" project №2

frame: Roadster bicycle from USSR (1973)
headset: 1″ alu (track bicycle of KHVZ)
stem: alu (no name)
handle bar: Moustashe Bar style
grips: Brooks Leather Bar Tape,honney
inverse brake levers: Tektro RX4.1
crankset: Sturmey Archer Single Ring Cranks FCT66 48t
bottom bracket: Sunrace
pedals: MKS Sylvan Stream, rat-trap style, polished
chain: Sram PC 1 Nickel
cog: 19t (3-speed)
front hub: Sturmey Archer SBF
rear hub: Sturmey Archer SAB3, internal 3 speed
shifter: Sturmey Archer S3s classic trigger + hand made logo "№2" (alu)
seat post: Kalloy UNO alloy, polished, 25.0
saddle: Brooks B17, antique brown
rims: 28" (ETRTO Grünert 622x19C), alu
spokes: stainless, 3 cross lacing
tires: Schwalbe Road Cruisers, broun, 43-635 (28″ English x 1.6″)
tubes: Schwalbe AV17
the bell of bicycle and roller is made by hand from a composition-metal

head badge "made in Lviv", aluminium also handwork

expect your comments ! forgive for my English
file.php

Last edited:
unknown stem
IMG_6742_zps3b96bf3a.jpg

Very nice build... pretty close to perfect, although I'm sure some might question the knobbies. Personally, I like'm in this context, but consider swapping out the "unknown stem" for something more traditional?

Looking good... I recall when you started the build thread for this bike, right? Came out awesome. IWhen did you end up finishing it?

Greeting from Ukraine ! (Lviv city) ! Accept my "Guvnor-style" ... "BeerBike" project №2

frame: Roadster bicycle from USSR (1973)
headset: 1″ alu (track bicycle of KHVZ)
stem: alu (no name)
handle bar: Moustashe Bar style
grips: Brooks Leather Bar Tape,honney
inverse brake levers: Tektro RX4.1
crankset: Sturmey Archer Single Ring Cranks FCT66 48t
bottom bracket: Sunrace
pedals: MKS Sylvan Stream, rat-trap style, polished
chain: Sram PC 1 Nickel
cog: 19t (3-speed)
front hub: Sturmey Archer SBF
rear hub: Sturmey Archer SAB3, internal 3 speed
shifter: Sturmey Archer S3s classic trigger + hand made logo "№2" (alu)
seat post: Kalloy UNO alloy, polished, 25.0
saddle: Brooks B17, antique brown
rims: 28" (ETRTO Grünert 622x19C), alu
spokes: stainless, 3 cross lacing
tires: Schwalbe Road Cruisers, broun, 43-635 (28″ English x 1.6″)
tubes: Schwalbe AV17
the bell of bicycle and roller is made by hand from a composition-metal

head badge "made in Lviv", aluminium also handwork

expect your comments ! forgive for my English
file.php

Your English is awesome, but I like your bike better! No.2 does a very nice job of capturing the "look" of this style of bike... I think you started with just about the perfect frame, and added a really smart component mix to complete the right vibes. I think the steel-shelled drum hubs do a whole lot for getting it to look "Guv'nor", but more authentic b/c the steel Sturmey-Archer S-series hubs look more vintage than the alloy X-series hubs found on the PAshley. Was the donor frame a 3 speed, originally?

OK, I'm maybe 3 builds away from having my go at a fake
Guv'nor/path racer type of rig. My plan is to base it on a Schwinn lightweight (Collegiate), run 700c rims with some massive gumwall slicks, x-fd/x-rd3 hubs/brakes, lauterwasser bars, black grips/black brooks saddle, chrome or silver alloy components, original crank, no fenders/chainguard, and keep the original red Schwinn paint but run a similar but CRAZILY patinated lugged-crown fork from the pile up front.... Oh, and I'll leave the kickstand on, if it works with the upsized wheels. I know i know, it ain't worth nothing without pics, but what do y'all think of the basic ideas I've got so far? For the record, I'm not trying to replicate the Guv'nor in terms of color scheme or general appearance.... I just want to build something that looks the part, in a competitive-yet-different kind of way....

Last edited:
Your English is awesome, but I like your bike better! No.2 does a very nice job of capturing the "look" of this style of bike... I think you started with just about the perfect frame, and added a really smart component mix to complete the right vibes. I think the steel-shelled drum hubs do a whole lot for getting it to look "Guv'nor", but more authentic b/c the steel Sturmey-Archer S-series hubs look more vintage than the alloy X-series hubs found on the PAshley. Was the donor frame a 3 speed, originally?
Thank you ! Frame a donor was from a singlespeed bicycle(coasterbrake hub).
Gasket of ropes of handwork )))
file.php

Very nice build... pretty close to perfect, although I'm sure some might question the knobbies. Personally, I like'm in this context, but consider swapping out the "unknown stem" for something more traditional?

Hey Bicycle 808 Already there will try and post a new pic if we get some better weather found some nice chrome steel moustache bars and went with the bikes original stem and wrapped the bars much cooler .
Also diggin that bike from the Ukraine think I have seen pictures of it on another site .

Looking good... I recall when you started the build thread for this bike, right? Came out awesome. IWhen did you end up finishing it?

Yeah, it's like a '71....electroforged, and heavy as can be....drum brake hubs are heavy, too--the 3 speed with front/rear drum brakes will be heavier than a tenspeed/rim brake set-up. I'm not too worried about the weight, though; South Jersey is pancake-flat, and most all of my bikes are heavy. I got a few fairly light bikes, too, should I need something featherlight and fast. I was going to run a 44x20, which'd give me a 46" gear for hills, a 61" gear for cruising, and a 82" gear for downhills/jammin....
Are you going to use the older Schwinn Collegate non-lugged frame? The butt welded Schwinn frame is very heavy. It will look cool though. I chose an old English 3 speed lugged frame. The bike turned out pretty light and I can ride this single speed everywhere and we have pretty steep hills. It has a 3 piece cottered crank with a 44 tooth sprocket and 19 teeth for the rear cog. I can stand up and attack the hills. I can't do this on my old Schwinn 10 speed as it is a tank. Your concept would be lighter than the 10 speed. Something to think about anyway, but if you have hills lighter is better.

Im really thinking of building up an early 70's Raleigh Grand Prix (I just saved it from the pit) like these; and in BRG, of course.
Maybe just keep the front two chainring crank/shifter for a two speed and the 26" wheelset of alum rims and coaster brake hub.......

Im really thinking of building up an early 70's Raleigh Grand Prix (I just saved it from the pit) like these; and in BRG, of course.
Maybe just keep the front two chainring crank/shifter for a two speed and the 26" wheelset of alum rims and coaster brake hub.......
I'd expect problems with the 2 front chainrings, as you'll need a way to maintain chain tension as the ratios change, and most any item designed to do that will interfere with the use of a coaster brake. Singlespeed would probably be the move.

Right you are! An adjustable, but lock down boggy wheel could take up slack and with a big wheel type wingnut allow for swap on the chainrings if I hit a step patch?
The Grand Prix is a heavy, but pretty lugged frame and it has more stretch in the top tube than my other Nottingham frames so should fit my 6'1" better. If I had an upgrade Raleigh laying around I would sure go for it, but this is it. The wheels are crapped out, maybe I can find a good alum set c/w gear cluster and keep it a 'D' system 'Pashley Gov' style. Guess I should get this into the builds rather than here.
It is a pretty picture in my mind, though.......

Last edited:
My just finished 1958 Carlton Flyer:

CF-front.jpg

CF-side.jpg

CF-bars.jpg

CF-rear.jpg

This is my first attempt at a full refinish. I did all the strip, prime, paint pin stripe and outline work myself. Where in the past I have merely assembled things and lived with what came on the frame or paid to have it painted.

Frame - 1958 Carlton Flyer Regency Green with Ivory inserts and Scarlet pin stripes/outlines
Rear Hub - Sturmey Archer 5 speed with drum brake
Front hub - Sturmey Archer Dynohub with drum brake
Crankset - Sturmey Archer
Stem - Nitto Slider
Handlebars - Soma Lauterwasser
Tires - Schwalbe Delta Cruiser 700 x 32
Saddle - Brooks Professional (pre softened)
Bottom Bracket - Campagnolo Veloce English thread
Headset - Raleigh
Grips - Brooks
Brake Levers - Velo Orange
Pedals - MKS Track

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back