Laid Back - TransWorld Motobike Rat

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 14 - CLASS 1 - BUILD JOURNALS' started by MazdaFlyer, Apr 30, 2019.

1. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

Then I remembered I had some perforated strap hanger material. [​IMG]
    I formed a couple of pieces for attaching to brackets on the battery tube which needs to be shortened. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I pulled out the stand and frame and did a test fit. The radius of the brackets needs to be tightened up some. The hanging strap portion appears to be a little long as well. The vision is stating to take shape though.
    Now to shorten the tube, add a switch and complete the wiring.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. KJV

KJV

:cool2:
    I getting: home sick;
    For :Rat-Rod'n .,:bigboss:

MazdaFlyer likes this.
  3. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

That battery tube and mounts are starting to look the part!

KJV and MazdaFlyer like this.
  4. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

Working with the flare tube turned battery tube to mimic the old large dry cell battery tubes. I trimmed the bracket straps down one hole. I ground off a boss nipple on the hanging clips. I shortened the tube and cap 2” each. I added a switch in cap and drilled a cable access hole. I also added a screw at bottom to hold the cap on. Then I did a test fit. The patina matches the frame pretty well. Seems like a good couple of hours this morning. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Drive workbench today... if I get to cleaning stuff I’ll move to backyard shade. [​IMG] [​IMG]

OddJob, toro1978, Scribble and 8 others like this.
  5. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

After lunch I got the grass re-mowed after mowing on Sunday. Yesterday left lots of clumps/clippings as it was really long and still damp. Still have some residue from cut number 2.
    After finishing up with the grass I set out to clean up the front wheel. This is the stage 1 process. Now I need to repack bearings, polish the New Departure W hub some and try to clean the chrome rim up a bit more. Spokes seem to be be in pretty good shape and it appears someone has replaced the axle in the past. Just need to true up the wheel some and it should be fine for this rat build.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It has a Goodyear 26”x1.75” tire at present which is holding air. I’m anxious to experiment with a couple of replacement options. Nice tread but too skinny.
    [​IMG]

6. Glen

Glen

Wow... never seen a Good Year 'Wing Foot' before. o_O

Nice :thumbsup:

Glen.

Scribble, LukeTheJoker and MazdaFlyer like this.
  7. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

Thanks for dropping in. This has been a slow spring. The cooler temperatures and excessive moisture has made for good landscape growing conditions here, but all the rain and flooding nor a welcome thing.
    I remember seeing that steam punk battery tube. Amazing what one can do in repurposing common material and hardware items. I’m after more of a recreated stock look.
    Thanks for the positive critique and suggestions. The patina technique is pretty interesting.
    Thank you, I’m more than happy with the light so far.
    Take care ready to see your build kickoff.
    The vision is starting to gel simple as it may be. Thanks for following the build along.
    I’d never seen a tire labeled “Wing Foot” before either. The front is still serviceable or would work well as a display tire. The rear is roached from sitting flat for too long.

8. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

I mounted up a “FeNIX” 26”x2.125” red clay brick tread tire. It measures out at 2.252” at 40psi on the rims I have. There is clearance at the fork even with some runout. Need to true up wheel.
    As stated previously this bike being 1934 by serial is a dual size model. It could have come with 28” or 26” tires. Thus my “TransWorld” moniker. For a few years after introduction of the balloon tires some bikes were available with either size. Schwinn was one of those companies. There is plenty clearance for a 28” or 700c wheelset. Think I like the 26” look at this point, could still change though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another tire option is “CST” Goodyear style tread 26”x2.125” reds. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    LukeTheJoker, Scribble, KJV and 6 others like this.
  9. SpikeFC

SpikeFC

Fenix. Don't know that maker, but I do know Cheng Shin Tires (CST). Best ones when it comes to Chinese tires, but not-the-best compared to more expensive tire brands. I personally run Continentals, Schwalbe, and Kendas on most of my bikes.

Duchess and MazdaFlyer like this.
  10. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

Never had the Fenix brand before. The “FENIX” is imprinted on the tire sidewalls. I’ve used the CST’s before, they hold a lot of sand/gravel and mud in the tread. I have the other three brands you mention on some other bikes as well. I’m probably going for the look on this “Laid Back” bike. The round tread tires usually roll better with less resistance and ride smoother.
    The Fenix tires mounted up easily and centered themselves bead wise on the rims.

LukeTheJoker, rrtbike and OddJob like this.
  11. OddJob

OddJob

So, I'm just barnstorming, er brainstorming here, Ed. But with that long lean look to your cool custom tank, I'm wondering if a taller, skinnier wheel tire combo might really set it off?

I know it's 'out of the box' (custom tank pun intended) for your typical build, but we old dudes are taking on some new features this year in our builds anyway. Just a thought.

Something like this, maybe:
    edbikeidea.jpg

12. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

Yah that idea has been in my plan book from the time I first picked up the bike. I have a 700c wheelset that would work.
    I think my plan is to get it together with the 26” wheels. I’ll evaluate the look and ride. Then I might also try the 28”/700c setup.
    At this point it is a candidate to to be a true “transitional” bike. Time will tell...and a lot of time to go. It is a “Laid Back” build.
    ——————————————————-
    26” Example...borrowed photos [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ——————————————————-
    28” Example...borrowed photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  13. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

More inspiration found today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  14. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

I did some Phase 1 cleanup on rear wheel with New Departure Model D hub. Before and after photos, simple stuff but needed to be done. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

While waiting to purchase George Strait tickets for my wife, I mounted up the CST tire on rear wheel, 26”x2.125” Goodyear tread. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hoping to get it rough mounted on bike this afternoon to review stance and fender clearance. Might also help to decide which tires to use. Then I’ll do some careful cleanup on frame, fork, stem and rack. Fenders are in limbo pending on outcome of frame cleanup.

Glen, SpikeFC and LukeTheJoker like this.
  16. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

That wheel cleaned up nice!
    Both those tire choices seem a great fit for the bike!

arty dave and MazdaFlyer like this.
  17. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

Well I got the rear wheel test mounted, mocked up if you will. I like the color of the front tire better. The rear seems a little too red. The overall circumference of both is pretty much the same. The CST is a hair larger. Think I’ll put the other FeNIX tire on back for a look. Still appears to be enough room for a set of 700c tires. The tires I have though are a bit skinny.
    I replaced the battery tube hanger bolts with shorter 1/4”Dia x 1/2”L brass slotted head bolts, just a small detail. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    More to do...so little time!

18. OddJob

OddJob

That battery tube turned out great! Nice sizing, well hung...um, you know; well placed in the frame space. And matches the patina of the frame / fenders really well.

I like the overall look / color of the front tire as well.

Speaking of getting close to being done....you're moving right along on this one M.Flyer!

LukeTheJoker and MazdaFlyer like this.
  19. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

Looks awesome!

LukeTheJoker and MazdaFlyer like this.
  20. MazdaFlyer

MazdaFlyer

Changed out the back tire and fit the bars again. Teacup light, coke bottle or ball end grips and recycled horn to follow. Going to try to clean up the stem some. The bars are going to stay shiny, rather light my old ratty red primer high school Ford with the shiny hub caps. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]