Kelly Adjustable Handle Bars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
schwinnless said:
Check bikeworldusa.com.
"Hubs" section 2nd page scalloped washers there and 2nd page of "nuts and bolts" serrated washers
Mabey?

I'm looking, but why am i not seeing a "hubs" section? I see only "hub shiners."

schwinnless said:
Check bikeworldusa.com.
"Hubs" section 2nd page scalloped washers there and 2nd page of "nuts and bolts" serrated washers
Mabey?

Okay, found them. Hmm. These are just locking washers, right? I mean, they grip, but they don't fit together, I don't think. Hmm. They're cheap enough that I may buy a set or two to play with. Thanks.

Any other ideas? Keep them coming, guys. We're going to crack this.

I think, if you were satisfied with only 8 or 10 positions that you could make them yourself with some careful file work. Layout would also be key. The way I would do it (if I may), I'd start with round bar stock of the diameter I wanted the washer. I'd do the work on it before cutting it to length. I'd file one end square (90 degrees to the length) and spray it with primer. The primer makes a fine layout dye. I would scribe the lines on, then centerpunch and drill the central hole. With a sharp, newer, fine cut triangular file I'd then carefully file the grooves right on the lines, starting them all and working them to depth together, not one after the other. When the grooves were good, cut it to length and dress the off side. Then repeat and fit the second to the first as a guide to working the second one down.

The only problem with this is that it would take good files, a vice, a combination square and the better part of half a day.

Good luck, can't wait to see 'em!!

jackdaw said:
Uh, was that too much? I do run on sometimes :roll: :(

No, I had thought of the idea of making those washers, but man, I'm not sure if I have the patience for that. I suppose I could work on it here and there, around other stuff. Eventually, I might have something.

If you search kelly handlebar on ebay, someone has an overpriced stem for sale. There are some good photos. Then check the completed items to see a set that sold in May. How about using a short length of Hex stock welded to a stem with a threaded end for the lock nut and two 12 point box wrench ends welded to the bars? Might work with a little engineering.

my wife wants something like that on a commuter so the bars are not in the way on the train.
We saw a 50's fold up bike with very similar bars, I'll have to look in my photos for the picture.
I could something like finding two sets of identical handlebars, cutting them in half but leaving enough for and over lap and welding in some serrate washers like the ones in the seat post above.

2spdDawg said:
If you search kelly handlebar on ebay, someone has an overpriced stem for sale. There are some good photos. Then check the completed items to see a set that sold in May. How about using a short length of Hex stock welded to a stem with a threaded end for the lock nut and two 12 point box wrench ends welded to the bars? Might work with a little engineering.

That's an interesting idea. I'll play around with that one in my head for a while.

abe lugo said:
my wife wants something like that on a commuter so the bars are not in the way on the train.
We saw a 50's fold up bike with very similar bars, I'll have to look in my photos for the picture.
I could something like finding two sets of identical handlebars, cutting them in half but leaving enough for and over lap and welding in some serrate washers like the ones in the seat post above.

Looking at folding bars from foldables is a good idea. A set might be a jumping off point, anyway.

Latest posts

Back