J.C. Higgins or Western Flyer??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what make this is? Chain guard says "De Luxe"...
OleRed.jpg

Bikeriderx, are those bikes being sold down by you in Benton Harbor? What are the ones in the back of the pic? I see a tag on the red one you are posting. Somebody selling those? I probably don't need any more bikes now but it's cool to see old bikes together like that. One of these days I'm doing to take the Blue Star Hwy. and Red Arrow all the way to Michigan City hitting those old antique shops and junk places for bikes. If the price is right, looks like a cool bike. Brian.

That's just it...I don't know! The seller is hard to contact...I'm not familiar with that chain ring, are you? I offered $40...He'll probably not take it...

Greystoke said:
Bikeriderx, are those bikes being sold down by you in Benton Harbor? What are the ones in the back of the pic? I see a tag on the red one you are posting. Somebody selling those? I probably don't need any more bikes now but it's cool to see old bikes together like that. One of these days I'm doing to take the Blue Star Hwy. and Red Arrow all the way to Michigan City hitting those old antique shops and junk places for bikes. If the price is right, looks like a cool bike. Brian.
They are for sale in Bremen, IN. The ones in the backround are ladies bikes...Where are you at?

i like that bike. lookin like it is murray made and the chainring looks like a bigger version of schwinn's "lucky 7" chainring. headbadge doesn't say? i have a jch "deluxe", so at least we know jch had a deluxe version. the seat looks schwinn, too. good luck.

Thanks! I doubt he'll take my offer...And I'd have to drive over an hour each way to get it... :|

That could be a Jc Higgins, though I don't believe it is Murray made as most are- I think it is either a Ross or a chain bike corp/CBC bike -I'm thinking Ross is probably more likely to be the make. Aspects of it are very similar to Monark made JCH bikes, but I don't know that JCH's were ever contracted Ross or CBC bikes- without some closer pictures it's tough to tell.

For some reason I want to say that the badge probably says "Thunderjet".

-Sorry to jack the thread here for a moment, but to clear up some of my own confusion, might someone shed some light on general aspects of the Ross, CBC, and Iverson bikes of this period? There are some real similar aspects between some of these bikes- were they connected in some way? I had an Iverson dragstripper once which I think had an identical fork crown/cap to this one, and some of the Ross, CBC, and Iverson frames seem really similar...

bikeriderx said:
Hmmmm...Do you think I ought to offer the guy more than $40?

If you like it, sure, I would. It's pretty unique. I'd see what he says at $40 and then go from there, unless you really want it. Is there no asking price? (It's totally fine if you don't want to post it, I was just curious- I personally would probably offer $75 if you liked it and see where that takes you).

-Sorry to jack the thread here for a moment, but to clear up some of my own confusion, might someone shed some light on general aspects of the Ross, CBC, and Iverson bikes of this period? There are some real similar aspects between some of these bikes- were they connected in some way? I had an Iverson dragstripper once which I think had an identical fork crown/cap to this one, and some of the Ross, CBC, and Iverson frames seem really similar...
Chain Bike, out of Rockaway Ny, owned the Ross name, and also made Thunder and Star Jets, and also a few dept. store bikes which I can't remember right now. What confuses many is their chainguard, which is similar to mid 50s Monark guards and a few others. One of mine, Star Jet I think....
CoastKingStarliner.jpg
~Adam

Unchained said:
bikeriderx said:
Hmmmm...Do you think I ought to offer the guy more than $40?

If you like it, sure, I would. It's pretty unique. I'd see what he says at $40 and then go from there, unless you really want it. Is there no asking price? (It's totally fine if you don't want to post it, I was just curious- I personally would probably offer $75 if you liked it and see where that takes you).
Nah. He said "Whats your offer on old red? i have no idea whats fair. its very cool, and unique but will require some tlc." So I offered $40 not fully understanding the 'history' of the bike...I think I'll try and get back on touch with him... :wink:

Jeez! Now I really feel like a heel low-ballin' the guy like I did!! :oops: I just sent him another email upping my offer...

Hey! The seller accepted my higher offer! It is a 'Thunder Jet'...I'm gonna go have a look at it today... :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back