it started with this frame...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so not so long ago, i bought a frame from a fellow rrb member and in under two weeks, this is what i came up with...

IMG_0789.jpg

it is a 99' huffy cruiser frame that i pieced together with spare parts i had laying around. for a before picture, just imagine a bare and sanded frame and fork set laying around in the corner of my shop ontop of the box i got it in,

IMG_0790.jpg

i converted it over to a freewheel wheelset from a huffy seqoia mountain bike and added on front and rear caliper brakes, the front mounted to a sweet straight fork. i have been successful so far not trying to throw on a chainguard, seeing how all my other cruisers have them, but this bike looks better without. this bike rips up the ashphalt and with its caliper brakes, stops better than any other cruiser i've ridden before, althought i still love my coaster equipt cruisers.

IMG_0793.jpg

i especially love to ride this bike on the nice spring days we've began to have. i just really dig it because this is the first bike/frame i have found thru a fellow rrb member, and thats cool in itself. hope you enjoy the picts and i look forward to what you think. in no way is it totally done (like any of our projects ever are), so maybe ya can give me a few suggestions which way i can go with it, cuz this bike wouldn't be if it wasn't for rrb. :mrgreen:

thanks for the great comments so far guys. not sure if it started off as a good vibrations, cranbrook or what, but it is a 99' according to the ser# and was at one point a 6speed. thanks for the great frame to get me started on this one chimichanga, definatly one of my funnest to ride and i've been wanting to do a single speed with a freewheel and handbrakes. next build, a cruiser fixie... perhaps left side drive. :mrgreen:

the paint is krylon royal blue with a white primer. it was an idea a co worker gave me last summer for another bike and i decided that with this bike, i didn't need another black or red bike, so i went with the blue. i am going to inverstigate getting a proffessional painting rig this summer, but my roots are in krylon rattle cans. :D

roadmaster said:
thanks for the great comments so far guys. not sure if it started off as a good vibrations, cranbrook or what, but it is a 99' according to the ser# and was at one point a 6speed. thanks for the great frame to get me started on this one chimichanga, definatly one of my funnest to ride and i've been wanting to do a single speed with a freewheel and handbrakes. next build, a cruiser fixie... perhaps left side drive. :mrgreen:

Your blue bike appears to be a "Cranbrook" frame. If you look at my two black ones you can see the difference. The red tired bike is a Good Vibrations from the mid 80's, still USA built. The frame tubing diameter is smaller, and the seat post is laid back a bit more. It also had an "ashtabula" style fork originally. My othe one with the apes is/ was a Cranbrook, also late 90's and chinese made, notice the thicker diamter tubing and the seat post is a bit more upright and a unicrown fork like yours.

Either way, they're both nice. I like the older frame geometry better for me, but my son loves the later style....so, we both win!!!

yeah, i got a 89' cood vibrations too (i believe you've seen the picts here at one time) and it has that stretched out feel for a stock frame that i love, noticably more than the 99', i guessed cranbrook too, even though i was told it started life as 6speed. it has the thicker tubes and is chinese built, but i still dig it totally and it fit me great. now that i've done these huffies, i got a murray or two needing an overhaul, and of course my wife's hawthorne. but for that, i'm thinking metalic with flames. yeah, she'd like that.

Back