Is this progress?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my probably late 50's Hiawatha right off the bike rack as I picked it up.

IMG00010hi2.jpg

It was really rusty and pitted but I thought rather than go all the way to bare metal and repaint, that I'd just clean her up, regrease and repack everything and try to touch up and enhance the paint a little then clear coat it all.

I'm not sure how much was gained in the effort...
IMG00041hug.jpg

IMG00039hug.jpg

Still need a set of tires as these are old and too cracked to last, a chain and then add the guard and I guess I'm done. Well the patina is preserved anyway! I guess if you have to explain it to someone they're not a rat rodder!

I just went thru the patina talk with my wife when I was talking about pinstriping my Hawthorne over the patina, than came the look, so I rode to the store, here's two couples sitting on they're 20 thousand dollar Harleys and the one guy says to ME as he's looking at my patina , thats cool ,what year is that ? .....made my day

Yeah that's the one thing I would like to do is maybe get a more definition on the pinstriping on the fenders and the tank. I haven't seen a real good example of the original tank to know exactly what was or should be there. That and I can't really do a good job on the pinstriping anyway

She is beautiful........I wouldnt change anything.......Leave her in all her glory......Yeah some pinning would look RAD.........But congrats on the attention of your ride........It deserves it for sure........ :p

Hey,

Looking good! If you can't trace the near gone original striping, go wild with some classic red and white stripes. :mrgreen: It looks MINT as is, I definitely wouldn't paint it...

The thing I've found to best clean old, faded paint is "KIT scratch out". it comes in a yellow bottle about 5 inches tall and is about the consistency and color or hand lotion... it does wonders bringing back the shine to faded paint. I love it, it is all I use. Sometimes, some rubbing compound (paste form) helps as a prep.

I'm gonna do the same thing to my Monark Rocket!
adamtinkererscollection006.jpg
gonna replace that Wald sprocket w/a Monark one, and swap the triple step rear rim (non original, with barely working Morrow brake) for possibly a 3 speed coaster. Too many projects, not enough time! ~Adam

heck ya that is progress...........I bet your arms are alittle soar with all the polishing and scrubbing.........I think it's RAD both ways..........But SWEET ride...........Like it..........

Latest posts

Back