Installing a Banana Seat on a 26" Bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I guess a banana seat is not really part of your typical Rat Rod, but it might be for mine. I need some advise here.

I am in the process of buying my first real project bike...a 50's Western Flyer tank bike. I'm considering using a high rise sissy bar and a banana seat on it instead of the typical vintage seat. The obvious problem is that when using a Stingray type seat, it will be too short. There has got to be a pretty big difference between the measurements from the rear axle to the seat post. How can this be overcome? I was thinking perhaps making a bracket of some sort, to shift the seat post mount further forward on the seat pan. Anyone think that will help?

Any other ideas? Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Dan

I think the 16" banana seats should work okay...maybe they are 18" can't remember.

Sometimes I think the sissy bar ends up at an angle towards the front of the bike.

Several folks have run nanner seats on their bikes here.

I was wondering that very same thing yesterday when I was checking out some parts online. I sent an Email to Bike World USA about the seat pictured below and they said it would work fine on a 26" frame. The seat measures 18x5 1/4.

S30%20Black%20Metallic%20Pleated.jpg

Check this ebay listing, it's for a 20" long seat. Item number: 130123928716

I just went and measured the Persons seat on my Stingray...it's about 18 inches long. I guess they are all pretty close in that respect. Cool, now I feel better. I'll post some "before" pics when I get a chance. "After" pics will be next summer I guess.

Thanks,
Dan

There are a few things you can do........

one is to remove the seat post clamp from the seat pan and re-weld it closer to the front, this way the seat will sit farther back

second is to get the sissy bars that have no pre drilled holes to mount near the drop out. Get the one with the hold down clamp. This way you can set your hight and angle. I hope this made sence to ya? :mrgreen: :wink:

FW

If chaingang don't ship to the USA...I'm sure some online lowrider shop down there should have them, they get the stock from the same china supplier. And yes, there are long seats just for larger bikes!!!

Here is a 20" banana seat I put on a 26 inch Murray frame with the lower sissy bar. I mounted the clamps on the bottom backwards so the sissy bar would not lean too far forward
2073057464_dced97f8cd_b.jpg

It's nice to know that there are seats made just for 26" bikes...that's cool, but will be a last resort as I already have a nice seat I want to use.

Once the bike is in here I will test all your ideas. Thanks a bunch guys!

Dan

I have tried both ways but when I use a 20" banana seat I prefer to use a piece cut from the bend of an old set of handlebars as a seatpost to set the seat back a few inches it helps the look a lot there are also bent seatposts made for BMXs
DSC00844.jpg

this is not a good pic but it shows the idea
you can't see it in the picture but the sissy bar goes straight up

I find that most of the time your standard 20" stuff will work on a 26" below is one I did that worked with no mods
P4091615.jpg

Here is one using the bent seat post trick, I suggest this if you are taller than the average person. This one in particular was made using a cut up shopping cart.
PC090646.jpg

This one uses both the bent seat post and some tabs to space the sissy bar back a bit so it doesn't have a weird angle or ride uncomfortably on your back
P7161763.jpg

P7161764.jpg

Latest posts

Back