How to Paint checkers on your seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_6904.jpg

Here is how to mask your Banana seat for painting checkers on it.

1.start with your object. for this demo I just drew a seat pan outline on a piece of paper
IMG_7013.jpg

2: Then I took a roll of 3/4 inch 3m UV Tape
IMG_7011.jpg

3. Next take and run the tape with wise across the seat make sure the first tape is run straight it will be your reference tape(if it is crooked you will see it later). Then run tape right along beside the first tape leaving no gaps or overlap.
IMG_7014.jpg

cover your whole seat this way
IMG_7015.jpg

4. Now over top of your tape you just put down run a single piece down the centre of the tape lengthwise. Make sure it is straight so that your squares are square and not diamonds. This is the second reference point.
IMG_7016.jpg

then like in the second part of step 3 cover the whole seat this way
IMG_7017.jpg

5.Now remove every other piece of tape that you just put down
IMG_7018.jpg

6. Take an exacto knife with a new blade and cut along both sides of the length wise tapes. be care full not to cut into the seat it self just use enough pressure on the knife to cut the tape only
IMG_7020.jpg

7. Remove the final length wise tapes slowly so that you do not remove the width wise ones
IMG_7021.jpg

8. Now pull out every other square
IMG_7024.jpg

when you are done you should have this:
IMG_7025.jpg

now you can paint the squares and un-mask after. the checkers look crooked in the pictue because the paper is warped.

note: when you start and if you have a black seat pan and want black and white checkers you can save your self a step and time. Do this by scuffing the bottom with the less abrasive scotch brite sanding pad just till the shine is off but keep it black. then mask the checkers off, paint the white, then peal the masking off and clear coat it.

I hope this makes sence

Here are the picks of the actual seat that I Did
IMG_6899.jpg

IMG_6904.jpg

IMG_6906.jpg

IMG_6903.jpg

Latest posts

Back