Hot Rod Higgins - DONE. In the finished forum

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Pure Evel - Name Change

Sweet! :D Looking forward to progress on this :wink: What's your color scheme...red, white, and blue? 8)

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - Name Change part II

OK...seriously....I am usually not a freak like this....ok, well maybe I am....but I spent all day yesterday looking at Evel bikes trying to incorporate it into my build and I didn't like the direction it was going. I thought the X53 fork didn't work, I didn't like the fender skirts and worst of all, my long spring seat looked kind of funky. So, I figured I would flop like a fish and drop the EK theme and just build my hot rod rat bike. At this point it is too late to turn back as the bike is about 80% painted. I still have to shoot the frame another coat and then finish the tank. Probably not going to go with at specific theme, although there will be a reference to my all time favorite hot rodder Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins.

Got everything painted flat black and then taped up for the silver metallic accents. My X53 fork chrome was trashed so it has been painted metallic silver, so I thought I would carry that through the build.

Chain guard
black1.jpg

Fender skirts
black2.jpg

Nice....
black3.jpg

black4.jpg

Tank came out pretty good. Just need to figure out if I'm gonna go with a silver insert or maybe have some lines pulled.

black5.jpg

Seat, fender, tank, etc.

black6.jpg

Wow, that paint is NICE!! :shock: I think I like this Hot Rod theme better 8) Can't wait to see the parts on the bike :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Wow, that paint is NICE!! :shock: I think I like this Hot Rod theme better 8) Can't wait to see the parts on the bike :wink:

Thanks man....not bad considering I have no idea what the heck I am doing with the paint. Probably going to go with red, white and gray on the striping. I need a nice old vintage light with a yellow lens now.

Sweet! The black & silver look great! 8)

This is gonna be sweet. Let's see some assemblage!

Thanks guys....It's pretty much your stereo-typical rat with chrome wheels and blackwalls. Just trying to make it look clean and slick. I need to get the fender and tank to the pinstripers here soon. I still need a front tire and a cool front light. I'd really like a yellow lens, but we'll see what I can dig up. Right now it is a single speed, but if I get it done soon enough, I am going to start lacing up my three speed hub to a 24" and convert it to a three speed.

Mark...I might have it done in time for the meet on the 2nd. If so, I'll bring it down. Not sure what bikes I am bringing. I got a really nice '68 Stingray Deluxe, but haven't had the time to clean it up yet.

Re: Hot Rod Higgins

For the yellow lens light, some craft stores sell what they call stained glass paint, it's basically like a candy paint, and you can paint light lenses with it. You might wanna look for some of that.

Thanks for the info on the glass paint. I may just try that.

I just found the raised Higgins "V" headbadge from another member. I wasn't thrilled with the flat tin one that came on it. I think I am going to clean it up and shoot it with the silver to keep that clean look on the flat black. I also picked up a silver and black chainring.

Still not sure what to do with the tank. I thought about painting silver inserts like a harley tank....Or maybe just drop on a couple of Higgins emblems and then have some pinstriping. Also thought about making some PVC "pipes" in a play off the pipe tank decals that came on some Higgins bikes. The bike kind of reminds me of a Russell Mitchell motorcycle although that wasn't my intention.

Thanks…I know everyone has built a flat black rat bike. It’s been done time and time again….and there isn’t going to be anything out of the ordinary and no major customizations (I have major respect for the guys who can do their own fabrication. I just don’t have the skills at this time). I’m just building a bike within my skill set that I enjoy and think looks cool. Dark, low, fat tires, flat bars, etc.

I haven't touched the Higgins build since Sunday. I am also building a road bike at the same time, so I spent the last couple of days putting on derailluers, running cables, etc. I did order some new parts for the Higgins. I bought a badge from another member. I ordered a front tire and some brushed aluminum and black grips. The bars came off a Nirve Switchblade. I plan to put on a couple more coats of paint on the frame and tank then do a little more rear fender modification. After painting it, I decided the fender isn't quite the way I want just yet. I think I have all the parts now to get it done. I'll start assembly this weekend. I plan to be done by June 1st.

Re: Hot Rod Higgins - Mocked up rear fender 5/24

I mocked up the rear end on my Hot Rod. Followed the lines of the skirt and cut the rear fender to a point. Overall I am fairly happy with it. Still need to straighten it out a little, grind it smooth and then paint it. I was a little surprised at the clearance under the fender with the 24X3. I pulled out a 26X2.125 Nirve Fat A** tire and it has a smaller OD than the Thick Brick. I am not sure how I feel about it. I'm gonna wait till I get it assembled and then see what I think. The other option is to lose the skirts and slam the fender down on the tire. I suppose I could fabricate a "flatter" fender too. It has a batman feel to it the way it looks. What do you guys think?

black8.jpg

black7.jpg

pick said:
Sweet! The black & silver look great! 8)
Man you making me want to get my bike from NBW. Ya whole bike is sweet!!

Latest posts

Back