Help needed with Tank I.D.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it man ???? It doesn't fit a 51 SCHWINN panther frame, I know cause i've had this on mine, and it just doesn't align with the frame geometry.

Attachments

• IMG_20170721_1626570_rewind_kindlephoto-1690422.jpg
    IMG_20170721_1626570_rewind_kindlephoto-1690422.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20170721_1629023_rewind_kindlephoto-1572202.jpg
    IMG_20170721_1629023_rewind_kindlephoto-1572202.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20170721_1654141_rewind_kindlephoto-513935.jpg
    IMG_20170721_1654141_rewind_kindlephoto-513935.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20170721_1654493_rewind_kindlephoto-479481.jpg
    IMG_20170721_1654493_rewind_kindlephoto-479481.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 185
Nope doesn't fit the Twin bars either, tried it on my 61, the construction is for a single top and bottom(straight) bar, doesn't fit over the double bar at all. Yeah it has a SCHWINN decal but it also has an inch of various vintage paint coats, Time to play detective and strip the layers to see if it will reveal its true identity. Thanks

Nope doesn't fit the Twin bars either, tried it on my 61, the construction is for a single top and bottom(straight) bar, doesn't fit over the double bar at all. Yeah it has a SCHWINN decal but it also has an inch of various vintage paint coats, Time to play detective and strip the layers to see if it will reveal its true identity. Thanks
There was a diffefent twin bar that the cantilevers were continuous like the standard cantilever framed. Tornado twin end at seat down tube. And fatter bars. Any help?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

I have a continuous double straight bar if you need some measurements or pics for help. I'm thinking if it won't fit a twin bar, it probably won't fit the continuous twin bar either. Heck, it would be nice if it only fit a continuous double straight bar because that was a one year only frame and it would make that tank super rare, but I really don't think so. Let me know if you want some pics or measurements.

It's not a SCHWINN tank, the geometry at the head stock(front) end of the tank doesn't even come close to any of the 7 different straight bar configurations I have, SCHWINN, Colson, Columbia, Shelby, mead, Huffman Dayton, or any of the Cleveland welding frames that are out there. I've researched this tank for about 3 years now and no one can show me or tell what it went to.

Nope, not for a Schwinn after I looked closer.

The tank may not have come with a horn, the holes may be home made, as it doesn't line up with the tank pattern. I've looked through tons of tank pics, none match up to yours, yet.

Hopefully there's a name or pattern under all the repaint.

IMG_3388.JPG

Looks like the same as this red bike I picked up at the swap last spring. I think he told me it was a Stebler or Stelber? I dunno, I'm a musclebike guy. But it was cool so I bought it.

ODDER, that's it, Stelber......Canadian?
Yours and mine are the only two I've ever freakin' seen anywhere, hang on to it, it looks like we both have really solid tanks, must have taken care of somewhat, thanks ODDER, I have a new path to follow and maybe just maybe I can get to the truth of what it goes to.

From a discussion on the CABE from a few years ago:
"Stelber actually was a NY import co., and they didn't manufacture any bikes. Most were imported from the Daimler/Puch/Steyr group in Europe. They also sourced from their NY neighbors, Chain Bike/Ross, and I've seen a few that seem to mix Euro and Ross parts."

I've also read that Stelber filled in in the 50's when bike manufacturers were on strike, so many of them are from that time frame. It's most probably an American made tank, the red frame has the American BB.

That red frame has the best clue, those dropouts are unusual. I've never seen that style. Find a bike with that same style dropout and you have the manufacturer.

Fisher bicycles from Germany. Mid 50s
That's the info I got from the guy I got mine from. Haven't checked the web for info yet. But I wanted to post while I still remembered. :21:

Latest posts

Back