Hawthorn straight Bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have this fresh barn find frame there is this strange tab on the frame can anyone determine what it's for ? Right there below the fork tube
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mid-50s HP Snyder frame--the tab is nothing factory I've ever seen. My guess is that somebody added a fork stop so that it didn't smash the tank at full tilt, like how so many tanks are beat up from a springer or truss rod fork. Schwinn actually had a factory frame bumper on their deluxe bikes in 1941 for this reason.

Here's the first bike I came up with, circa ~1954. It's kind of what I picture when I think of this frame. What's there is mostly original, just missing the guard.

DSC00685.jpg

I've never seen that tab before. They did a good job of brazing or welding it on there.

Honestly I think it's factory because it's flawless , I can't tell if a old timer put it there or it was produced that way , was thinking of hacking it off with a die grinder and making it smooth

I'd leave it if it wasn't in the way. If it is factory, it will make that frame rarer.

I'd leave that tab, that just adds to the mystery and history of the frame. Those little things always make a difference when it comes to vintage bikes and it seems to be factory added, from the clean brazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back