Has anyone built a hot rod kids trailer?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ape Stanger said:
Looking for ideas for a rat rod bike trailer so I can take my toddler out for rides.

Just speaking from my experience, I have a kid trailer, it's heavy, doesn't fit well on sidewalks and puts kids out in traffic. I guess it pulls just fine, but let me offer you an alternative.

My friend found me one of these Tag Along bikes that attaches to the seat post of the towing bike, the kind that has a crank and handlebars so that the child can pedal. Anyway, I see them regularly for around $30-$50, I got mine for $5. I removed the chain and crank and installed my daughter's stem mounted child seat to the seat post. She LOVES it, and it pulls easier than the trailer, keeps her right in line with me, I can go up and down curbs easier, it's lighter than the trailer, and I just think it's safer. I have swapped out the seat post that the seat is mounted on with a 1 1/8" adjustable stem so that my daughter can have a handlebar to hold onto. Before we take it on vacation this summer I will give it the normal rat treatment, red rim, flat black, hopefully I can find a 20" whitewall, and I will attach a bike flag mast with my old pirate flag attached.

yoothgeye said:
Ape Stanger said:
Looking for ideas for a rat rod bike trailer so I can take my toddler out for rides.

Just speaking from my experience, I have a kid trailer, it's heavy, doesn't fit well on sidewalks and puts kids out in traffic. I guess it pulls just fine, but let me offer you an alternative.

My friend found me one of these Tag Along bikes that attaches to the seat post of the towing bike, the kind that has a crank and handlebars so that the child can pedal. Anyway, I see them regularly for around $30-$50, I got mine for $5. I removed the chain and crank and installed my daughter's stem mounted child seat to the seat post. She LOVES it, and it pulls easier than the trailer, keeps her right in line with me, I can go up and down curbs easier, it's lighter than the trailer, and I just think it's safer. I have swapped out the seat post that the seat is mounted on with a 1 1/8" adjustable stem so that my daughter can have a handlebar to hold onto. Before we take it on vacation this summer I will give it the normal rat treatment, red rim, flat black, hopefully I can find a 20" whitewall, and I will attach a bike flag mast with my old pirate flag attached.

That is an AWESOME idea! As far as that goes, you don't even have to remove the crank and chain for an easy swap when they get older. Thank you for the idea! I have been trying to find one of those for my 6 year old, but people around here are crazy with prices, I could hook up a car seat to it and take BOTH of them!! I love this web page! :)

Buck Masterson said:
That is an AWESOME idea! As far as that goes, you don't even have to remove the crank and chain for an easy swap when they get older. Thank you for the idea! I have been trying to find one of those for my 6 year old, but people around here are crazy with prices, I could hook up a car seat to it and take BOTH of them!! I love this web page! :)

I decided to go ahead and remove the crank because that gives the bike more ground clearance and when you take it over curbs and roots and stuff it would drag. It also cuts down on weight (a crank and chain don't seem like much, till they're gone). I also plan to squeeze the dropouts in and put a front wheel on it. I never planned to use this as a "pedaler" anyway since the popular consensus on these is that the kid isn't ever going to pedal anyway, they just ride, so you might as well make it a little easier for you by putting the thing on a diet. Anyway, any child large enough to pedal one of these is big enough to be riding on their own, and if you are just using this because your kid needs a break from riding on a long trip, then they still don't need a crank, just pegs will do. haha

Keep your eyes open for the cheap ones, but I'll tell you what's worked for me in the past, put up a wanted ad on Craigslist, people have these things sitting in their garages and forget about them. Check thrift stores.

yoothgeye said:

Could you post a pic of this setup?^^^

Still needs paint and accessories. You can see the mount on the front where the handlebar was originally. There is now enough room on the front for pannier bags or baskets.

SAM_0470.jpg

As you can see, the tag-a-long is a looptail... how cool is that? I really want a 20" disc for the wheel, I might just make one.

Notice the tube under the BB, that was made to protect the chainring over bumps and curbs, I will be cutting that off.

YG, Instead of discs, look for 16" hubcaps. I am pretty sure these and the 20" bike wheels are close to the same diameter. Old Lincoln caps would look cool!cools

brett4christ said:
YG, Instead of discs, look for 16" hubcaps. I am pretty sure these and the 20" bike wheels are close to the same diameter. Old Lincoln caps would look cool!cools

I could see finding newer 16" hubcaps, but most older ones would be 15"

In the late 40's-early 50's there were SOME 16" wheels, granted not many, but there were some. also, check aftermarket for some Moon-style lakes covers. I KNOW they come in 16".

brett4christ said:
In the late 40's-early 50's there were SOME 16" wheels, granted not many, but there were some. also, check aftermarket for some Moon-style lakes covers. I KNOW they come in 16".

I just think they would dish out too much from the rim to the axle to fit in between the dropouts, especially once I go to a front wheel.

yoothgeye said:
Still needs paint and accessories. You can see the mount on the front where the handlebar was originally. There is now enough room on the front for pannier bags or baskets.

SAM_0470.jpg

That is awesome, I have a son on the way and this will be a great way to get him ridding with the family.

chagovatoloco said:
That is awesome, I have a son on the way and this will be a great way to get him ridding with the family.

Glad this has given some people some ideas, I just think this is a safer way than the trailer, you can get this out of harm's way alot quicker than a wide trailer. Is anything 100% safe, no.

The seat on mine is a Bobike mini child seat, it is made to mount to your stem and my daughter LOVED this design better than my other kids ever did the seat that is behind the parent. WIth the "back seat" the view never changed and if you've ridden with one of those seats, the weight behind you felt funny when riding. The reason I moved her onto the tag-a-long is because though she still fits the seat just fine, she is bigger now and her helmet hits your chest when you slightly lean forward. She is in the back now, but far enough back that she has a great view.

I sold my Bell "cocoon" rear seat for $10, but wish I'd kept it now for this trailer. Those have more head support and since little kids tend to fall asleep on bike rides that seat would keep her head from flopping around as much.

Maybe I should make a way to recline the seat...

Latest posts

Back