Hammered Higgins (In Finished Builds)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hammered Higgins

Here are some progress photos for the rear basket, or could serve as front basket also...

c5c9599b.jpg

Overall dimensions are 13-1/2" x 9-1/2" wide x 8-1/4" high. It is constructed from 3/8" exterior grade plywood, 11/16" x 11/16", and 3/16" x 1-3/8" pine from trim section at HD. #8-3/4 pan head screws are holding everthing together along with long finish nails at corners installed vertically due to not thinking things out completely prior to assembly excitement. Predrilled all the holes, just one minor wood split which is inside at bottom fillet.
d61c8d1d.jpg

Added some Minwax pecan stain that i had used on something else. The material cost is way less than the cost of a similar basket for purchase. But when taking into account the labor hours, I should have bought one, but what fun is that. My wife just shakes her head. I have an old wire basket fork mount that I think will work on the rear of Higgins. Just need to come up with a way add stabilizer mounting bracket to rear fender bridge. A rack would simplify mounting the crate.
5fb44e4d.jpg

Wheels are being laced up. Need to add another coat of paint to frame, not getting as much hammering efect as I want. Still undecided on the fork, chrome or painted?

Great Krate!

First get a regualr old school rack then find a couple of rusty hand saws and cut the teeth side about an inch. Then use those to skin the back braces of the rack. :)

:( Not to saisfied with the Hammered Rosemary paint so far. After doing a second coat I lightly sanded with 800 grit. I shot a third coat this AM. Just can't seem to hold the mottled effect depicted on the plastic top of the can. Spraying on heavy side produces runs, spraying in bursts seems to help some. I am getting a rough finish that appears if you were painting ofer rust pitted material. But it is a Rat Rod Bike after all so perfection isn't in the game plan. 8)
38f7f44c.jpg

5d9db248.jpg

I had better results spraying the chrome fork with a Hammered Brown, it seemed to settle into the mottled tones more effectively. I didn't sand the fork so if it goes back to chrome at some point, it will still have some shine left.

b304439d.jpg

im loving the tank idea and the basket came out real nice i love it!! nice work so far... 8)

Have a couple rack possibilities for mounting the wooden basket...first one highly rusted and pitted (hammered).

1e533a9d.jpg

the second one highly polished and refined with reflectors...

a5fb4e80.jpg

The Hammered rack for sure!

Thanks for the rack input! The rat one would simplify mounting the basket crate. I'll get to some assembly in a few days. I will mockup both and see which one provides some continuity.

bike2112 said:
Both racks look cool, but that first one has a certain look to it that I really like. The second one almost screams "Don't put anything on me" where the first one says "I can handle it"
I agree. And I think the square lines of the first rack would go better with the crate.

received my chainguard today which came bent due to soft packaging method, tried to work out the crease and straighten it up.

4f32b369.jpg

Looks like someone hit it with a "HAMMER" :p

Just teasin, that sucks that they didn't wrap it better. Hope the kink comes out for you.

kingfish254 said:
Looks like someone hit it with a "HAMMER" :p

Just teasin, that sucks that they didn't wrap it better. Hope the kink comes out for you.

Yah, I hit it a few times myself after the fact. I managed to mostly straighten it up and get crease out. Still has a noticeable dimple. But it is going on a rat bike, so what the heck? Hammered patina at it's best...

Seller said he paid the package store to box it, but they just went ahead and sent the soft envelope.

Tried using some stainless steel wire ties but couldn't get them tighten up on the filgee brackets so went back to plastic. Also can't find a U-bolt that will fit bars, to big or to small.

9f168b39.jpg

Here is the rat rack in place...need to fix a couple of rivets on it.

7203129b.jpg

Hammer in place...3/4 side view.

2685ac11.jpg

Re: Hammered Higgins (More Mockups)

Installed the tank hammer this AM, It is somewhat removable if required,

460130b5.jpg

Crate basket setting loosely on rack, need to take a look at the other rack also. Although I will probably go with this one.
Have some graphic ideas for the side of the crate: "Hammered Hiiggins - 100 Proof"
5fd4dba1.jpg

2ec9dfea.jpg

Hoping to get wheels back this week...
3dff234b.jpg

Super mock up. It's all coming together well.

Try using hose clamps for the ironwork. Those should screw down plenty tight.

Hammer and rack look great.

I saw the Seminole build had a sledge hammer as a temp kickstand and thought of your build. You could get one of thos skinny picture hanging hammer and make a kickstand out of it.

Keep up the good work!

Looking good.
On your handlebar decoration... could you form the flat bracket part to fit the round of the handlebars and screw or glue (jb weld) on? Screws probably would work loose if bike gets ridden much. You could also just paint the tie-wraps silver or bronze.

The hammer is going to be a real conversation starter.

Latest posts

Back