Guitar amplifiers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, I did a search and came up empty handed. I know there's a bunch of guitar players on RRB. What do you guys use? Or what do you wish you could play through?

Not only do I love old bikes, I also love old amps.

IMG_0172 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
That's a Gibson Les Paul '58 Reissue with a genuine silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb. The hardcore collectors will cry, but I did a mild mod. A tone stack bypass in the normal channel for better lead tones.

Nice! I have been trying to learn to play better for years but I always get frustrated and sell my guitar. :oops: I've played everything from a Fender Squire Strat to a '67 Teisco Heit Deluxe. Far as amps go I have only had two a fender that I don't recall the model and a smaller one that looked like a pack of Marlboros. (Smokey Amps)

I'm not a fan of vintage amps, I'm a high gain kinda guy. I used a Sam Ash (Guitar Research) 60 watt half stack. I played an Ibanez Paul Gilbert through it. People usually laughed at it when then first took a look at it but when I turned it on they would stop laughing.

IMG_2229.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
Nice! I have been trying to learn to play better for years but I always get frustrated and sell my guitar. :oops: I've played everything from a Fender Squire Strat to a '67 Teisco Heit Deluxe. Far as amps go I have only had two a fender that I don't recall the model and a smaller one that looked like a pack of Marlboros. (Smokey Amps)
Well, playing is something that you definitely have to dedicate yourself to. I don't practice much, but I'm still better than I was three years ago!
More amp goodness.

IMG_0240 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
IMG_0238 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
A Marshall JTM 45 copy built from a Metro Amps kit. http://metroamp.com/
They don't offer kits anymore which is a shame, because this is my best sounding amp, modern or vintage. 3 12AX7 pre amp tubes (vintage Mullards), 2 KT66 power tubes (modern Valve Arts), and a 5AR4 rectifier tube....bad mamma jamma tone for days.

My home rig is this 70s Bassman 50 through two Jensen Mod 10"ers. Leaning on it is my Epi SG Jr, fun guitar for cheap. I have a 100 watt Marshall through a Crate 4 x 12 cabinet at my band's studio. Also, an Ampeg VT-40, formerly a combo, but rehoused in a cut down cabinet to make it a head. Currently awaiting new tubes & caps. -Adam
037.jpg

Oooh, Silverface Bassman! I likey!
One trick to getting great tone out of silverface Fenders is rewiring them for fixed adjustable bias, and NOT the "balanced bias" crud that the CBS engineers came up with. There's a few more tricks too.
I'd love to see some pics of the Ampeg VT-40. I bet that thing gets an amazing clean tone.

Latest posts

Back