Goodrich Clunker (done and updated 11-20)

Discussion in 'RAT ROD BIKE BUILD OFF 2' started by cman, Sep 18, 2007.

1. armandgil

armandgil

0   0   0

That's clunktastic!!!! :mrgreen:
  2. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I laced the rear drum to a rim(had to order). Lacing this time was easier. Probably not good enough for a road bike but good enough for me. I also cleaned the inside of the drum surface and scuffed up the brake pads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look I got a skip tooth combo cluster.

[​IMG]

Derailer mounted

[​IMG]

Next will be a recover on the seat and a hunt for a seatpost. I bought a cheap Varsity for the cranks and seat post but the seat post is stuck.
  3. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Here is the seat I hope to recover. Started tonight with some vinyl that stretches but seems to be difficult. Couldnt get the springs off and staple gun doesn't fit every where. I am also using some spray adhesive that help in some of the difficult spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully I will get this done in the next day or so. I will be gone for over a week on a little hunting trip.
  4. kingpin

kingpin

0   0   0

looking good man.....wonder if ill ever find drum breaks here?!
  5. Firewalker

Firewalker

0   0   0

cman wrote

vinyl can't lay over that many curves...sorry you would need to sew on a seat like that. If however you are using vinyl that can strech in all 6 directions you could place it on. Try and use a little heat from a hair dryer :D or heat gun.....but be carful not to put too much heat or you will wreck the vinyl. the other thing you should do to make this work is to place your spray glue on both the seat and vinyl. alow this to tack up...heat your vinyl then strech it on :)

you really need to remove the springs in order to staple...try some penatrating oil.. good luck feel free to ask more questions

FW
  6. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Kingpin, There are new drums made by S/A Sturmey Archer. As for old ones who knows. The Dutch use them alot because they aren't affected by the wet weather.

armandgil- Thanks - your Columbia was the kickstart to doing this bike.
  7. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Firewalker- thanks for the tips. The nuts loosen but there is no way to put a wrench on the back side so they get part way loose. The rear corners are glued enough it can do without staples until I get the rear trim piece back on. I am having problem with too much material on the front point.

The Vinyl does stretch in all directions. I bought extra, so I will probably use this first as a trial to figure out the stretching order. Then make it pretty the second try.

I tried to talk my wife into sewing it for me and she said she would sew anything but that. If this doesnt' work then I will find another seat and save this for later. I also thought about trying to spray on the rubber tool grip
  8. kingpin

kingpin

0   0   0

i had a seat like that...got the springs off with a pair if needle nose vice grips...
  9. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Not much progress, as I have been away. Purchased new tandem brake cable and housing to make it back to the rear drum. The brakes work fairly well though disc would be sweet.

Mostly done just need to finish the seat covering, derailer cable and find a seat post.
  10. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Took it out for a ride and hit a trail or two. Fun ride -reminds me of my Rockhopper from 1989. I changed the name cause I realized it is actually a BF Goodrich frame that I mistakenly typed Goodyear in my original post.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Markm

Markm

0   0   0

cool!!!!
  12. 2manybikes

2manybikes

0   0   0

Clunker

Charlie Kelly, and the rest of the Marin County gang would be proud. :)
  13. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Re: Clunker

There is a pic from his website I am going to re-inact for some of the final pics-flannel and all.
  14. UNDER-PRESSURE

UNDER-PRESSURE

0   0   0

15. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Re: Goodrich Clunker (namechange and pic updated 11-5)

I am done with the Clunker. I am pretty happy with the results. First mountain bike since mine was stolen 7 years ago :lol:

There are things I didn't get done(seat) but I learned lots. Laced two wheels, spread frame for 5spd rearend and a few other items.

So long and happy trails-----Finished thread w/pics and video
    [​IMG]
  16. Schwinnspastic

Schwinnspastic

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Oops I guess I replied in the wrong thread but I dont know how to move it..Steve can you put it here instead of the finnished section ?
  17. cman

cman Moderator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Mark, Thanks for the comments. I had fun researching and collecting the parts.

P.s. I wear a helmet everday on my commute. These were to recreate the pics from Charlie Kelly's and Alan Bond's sites.
  18. cashman

cashman Pro Member

0   0   0

Man that is a nice bike!!! I like those front brakes too!!! I have an old 28 hole front brake that came off a Krate on an old Schwinn Phantom of mine. I'd like to change it out and use a 36 hole front brake like yours someday. Great bike and pics!!! Thanks!!!
  19. ej599

ej599

0   0   0

Awesome bike. I dig the drums and cluster. looks great!
  20. fattroy

fattroy

0   0   0

Awesome job cman!!!! I dig the hub setups! Doesn't get any better than that! SWEET ride. :mrgreen: Troy