Fridays Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I saw an ad Thursday night for a 70's ladies Schwinn for $25. Called the guy, and set up to meet him on my way back from school. The guy lives pretty much in the back of the back woods in the middle of the forest with only a very narrow, and rough path just big enough for a car to get through.
So we get there, and we start looking at the Schwinn. It's a 71 (I think), and it has the mag sprocket, Original tires, etc. There is no chain guard, and I don't know if the seat is original. I don't know exactly what kind it is, but from looking at pictures of ladies bikes, i think it may be a Schwinn Breeze?
The serial number is FH084099
photo2-4.jpg

photo3-4.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

photo1-3.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

photo1-4.jpg

Then he starts telling me about all these other bikes and projects he has, and how he's going to get rid of all but 2 mountain bikes. he takes me into his garage, where he has just tons of bike stuff, and there in a corner is a BFGoodrich Schwinn Straight bar frame, with the rest of the bike in a box right next to it. I asked, and he said $70. Im going back sunday to get that one.

Behind his garage, he has 2 muscle bikes, and a generic roadbike. One was a girls Free Spirit 3 speed, and the other is what I think is an Eliminator. Passed on the Free Spirit, and got the Eliminator. Its obvious that it is missing a chain guard, and the OG handle bars, but i don't know what else is. Don't know the year, and i can't find the serial number anywhere.

photo2-2.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

Got them both for $50 Delivered To My Door!
The guy was very cool, and he was pretty neat to talk to. DEFINATLY going back, but with a fatter wallet. :lol:
I think I did pretty good.

DANG! All you need to do is ditch those cruiser bars on the Eliminator and your ready for some wheelies!

I think that this is the correct chain guard for the eliminator.
If you are interested let me know.$25.00 shipped
127_0015.jpg

Lopo68- Thank you very much for the offer. But I thought that the correct one would be the one that said F1 Eliminator on it, that goes from the drop outs to about the middle of the down tube.
Like this one -
fdbdown.asp

Kinda funny, not related to the bikes, but I am friends with a lot of people that restore old ambulances that would probably give $100 a square foot for the laminate on the floor in that guys place. It was discontinued long ago, and was used in probably half of all ambulances built in the early 70's.

duncan said:
Rustinkerer- thanks for the info! Do you think the seat is OG?

Toeslider- do you mean the floors in this pic?

photo3-1.jpg

Yeah, it's called Armstrong Colonial Brick. I doubt anybody could use it if it's already been glued down, but I know people that are always looking for extra unused pieces.

Is that your place, or the guy that had the bikes place?

I can never remember which pattern is the one everyone is looking for. It's either the one in the pictures, or there is another one that looks similar but is a little more random. They made the same pattern later, but with bigger "bricks".

Anyway, if you know of some partial or full rolls of something similar, there might be some interest out there. Probably more than you would have thought...

Here is an example of how it was used:

floor4.jpg

You can see the pattern is similar, but different. I think the one in my picture is the one people are looking for, but I'll double-check.

Sorry about hijacking the thread, just thought it was interesting to see such a huge expanse of it, when people are looking around for scraps of it.

Yep, that's my place. Our whole house was covered in it when we moved here. We took it all out and replaced it with hardwood floors, and my room is only whats left of it. :lol:
We will check to see if some people we know have some left. I never would have thought that it's so desirable.

Dude I know where you got that bike!! I buy stuff off of Tim alot. Dang going to have to give him a hard time 'cause he didn't call me about that straight bar your getting, just kiddin'. Tim is a good guy to deal with, glad you found him. I bought a '71 breeze about 2 yrs ago in Winston just like that one but blue. Chain was gone off of it but it has the original tires,little plastic axel caps, reflectors still on it, And the chrome all looks new. Dont think it was ever ridden.I would post a picture but its upside down in the rafters of my shop.Tim had some nice muscle bikes a year or so ago and he keeps saying he going to quit fooling with the bikes and it 2 years later and still addicted.

Thank you for the offer B607, but i'm looking for an original red chain guard with similar patina. Thanks for the offer though!

-Does any one know if the seat to the red Schwinn is original?
-Is the orange one a Murray eliminator?
-And would the type of chain guard on the bike below be the correct one for my orange one?
fdbdown.asp

Budeebro1 said:
Dude I know where you got that bike!! I buy stuff off of Tim alot. Dang going to have to give him a hard time 'cause he didn't call me about that straight bar your getting, just kiddin'. Tim is a good guy to deal with, glad you found him. I bought a '71 breeze about 2 yrs ago in Winston just like that one but blue. Chain was gone off of it but it has the original tires,little plastic axel caps, reflectors still on it, And the chrome all looks new. Dont think it was ever ridden.I would post a picture but its upside down in the rafters of my shop.Tim had some nice muscle bikes a year or so ago and he keeps saying he going to quit fooling with the bikes and it 2 years later and still addicted.
Yea, he's a very cool guy, and has some very nice things. I don't think i would ever be able to quit on bicycles.

Just an update on these two-
The Eliminator, I re-greased the forks, pumped up the tires, cleaned the chrome, added some apes, and tightened all the bolts down. I think it looks better.
photo1-12.jpg

photo2-12.jpg

It looked like the front tire has a red stripe going around it.
photo3-11.jpg

Also found these markings. Any one know what they mean?
photo2-14.jpg

Front rim
photo1-14.jpg

Under Fork crown.

Next is the Schwinn. I added some fenders, basket, and rear rack. Its now my girlfriends favorite bike so far because it has a basket. :roll: :lol:
photo2-13.jpg

photo1-13.jpg

(sorry for all the crap in the back ground. I have too many projects.)

Latest posts

Back