Fisch's 20inches of Awesome! 7/9 I'm a NY Times best seller!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Interesting Discovery 6/6

Houndog said:
So glad you are not painting..when I bought my bike I had no idea it would look like it does after ridding of surface rust...
Very cool build...
Amazing, right! I love uncovering the history. Every knick and scratch gives a piece soul. I also love a nicely painted bike, but certain bikes just want their scars to show.

In other news, I have started teaching a week long illustration master class, so updates will not happen this week. That said I got some killer work done on the seat post situation that I can't wait to share. But it'll have to be next week!

Keep building brothers!

Jake Sensi said:
This bike is killer!! I'm working on a 20 incher called Riff Braf. I rode it tonight and. It was super fast. It also folds. 20 inchers unite!! Peace

Another '20 incher' present!!! 8)
Fisch said:
Nice! Thanks guys, looks like we are starting a 20" revolution! When I first got into RRB I was certainly more about 26" bikes, really because I thought 20" would be too small. Then I started getting muscle bike fever, and realized with the right proportions, a 20" is a pleasure to ride. Recently got hit with the bmx bug, and again found them to be light weight and so comfy to ride (with a layback post).

Now, in the stock configuration, this Stelber would be torture for a 6 foot guy like myself to ride, but with the right bars and seat hight, I am really hopeful it will be comfy as most bananas. .
Great bike!! Love the concept....

It's times like these that make me glad I never grew taller than 5' 7"

This is definately one of the coolest 20 inchers I have ever seen. Love what you have done with it!!! 8) :mrgreen:

I used an oil painting medium called Liquin Fine detail. But normal Liquin would work too. I will put another coat on later.

I am still teaching a week long workshop, so no new news to report on the build. :( Soon!

Awesome looking bike! The Heim joints gave me an idea for some truss rod holders on my build, thanks.

What's up Fisch :?: I,as well as others I'm sure,am jonesing for more progress :!:

Just curious.

Class is over by now, the bunnies are getting hungry for an update!!!!!!

bunnyteeth.jpg

Circa Cycles said:
What's up Fisch :?: I,as well as others I'm sure,am jonesing for more progress :!:

Just curious.

Where did June go!? The good news is I have made progress! Just need to document it.

I am headed out for vacation next week, and am planning on taking the beast with me to work on. But I will shoot for a photo update in the next couple of days!

Cool, realy looking forward to seeing more of "Awesome"

Holy cow it is time for an update! Keep the bunnies at bay. :p

Where we left off was figuring out what do do about the seat. Like all the other odd stuff on this bike, the seat tube was basically a twig held in with a stop bolt.
IMG_1240.jpg

So I broke out the 1/2 tap.
IMG_2452.jpg

And threaded a 1/2 rod right down the seat tube. Now I am hearing ya, this isn't the prettiest solution.
IMG_2458.jpg

No worries! That was just the beginning. So I cut me some cardboard templates, transfered it to aluminum sheet and started fabbing a seat tower to match the front springer mount. I 'brazed' the aluminum with this low temp aluminum solder you can get at Tractor supply and used nothing but a Propain/Mapp torch.
IMG_2454.jpg

It takes some getting use to and isn't the prettiest joint, but since the threaded rod is the real strength of seat tower, this got the job done.
IMG_2455.jpg

Here is the raw form of what I built.
IMG_2479.jpg

After a lot of filing and fiddling the fit, I wanted to make it sexier, so I taped off a checkerboard pattern, and using steelwool and buffing compound, I polished in a ghost checkboard into the metal.
IMG_2498.jpg

Now were talking. Depending on the lighting conditions, parts of the pattern will vanish.
IMG_2517.jpg

But how to mount the seat? First sandblast it and think about getting rid of the bolt heads, as I am going for a metal seat.
IMG_2519.jpg

My first mig welding job! Which is bubblegum popcorn all the way, but I am currently on vacation and my bro in law has a stocked garage here. So It was time to learn some stuff! Ain't pretty but it'll hold.
IMG_2522.jpg

I welded up the holes on top, ground my popcorn welds and we are feelin better about sitting on it.
IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

Bondo time! Also my first time working with filler.
IMG_2532.jpg

Just so happened my bro-in law was priming a MG in his paint booth, so he handed me the gun for the first time and:
IMG_2534.jpg

TIme to bikeride with my daughter on her Spyder 500 before I figure out how the heck to attach the seat to the tower.
IMG_2537.jpg

Then it came to me. I sanded off some of my fresh primer and welded in a plate that I could bolt down right on top of the tower using the 1/2 threaded rod coming out of the seattube!
IMG_2544.jpg

OK so what does all of this look like attached to the bike? Here we go.
IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

That's all folks!

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Massive update PG.9 seat tower

:shock:

what.jpg

Holy smokes!!! I REALLY like this build.

kingfish254 said:

what.jpg

Holy smokes!!! I REALLY like this build.
Take the trophy why don't cha!! Geeze!!

Thanks guys! The seat seems to hold my weight, so that is good. It is the original seat that came with the bike. But it is pretty massive. I love the look of it with all the springs and I have plans to paint something on the seatpan, so I enjoy the massive canvas, but wouldn't mind setting something smaller up there to see if I'd like the scale better.

Next though, while I am on vacation for a couple more days and near a bro-inlaw with a welder, I should think about a rear brake. I don't know that my springer is tough enough for the torque forces of the front disc brake. A simple rear pinch brake under the bike behind the kickstand may be in order.

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Massive update 6/4 seat tower

Great work on the bracket!

Now, one piece of advice. If you plan to ride this very much at all, go to Fastenal (only place I know of off the top of my head that you can get it) and get a rod of hardened all-thread for the seat post. Regular all-thread is too soft.

Keep up the good work! Rg

Latest posts

Back