First Ride in 50+ years: 2023 Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: First Ride in 50+ years, don't steal the vegetables

Thanks Guys! My FIL on JUP kinda reminds me of his old MCs
IMG_5688III.jpg

IMG_7190II.jpg

It’s about a 1000 feet across the Mississippi River in Mpls,
The current eddys and varys so there is someone who drowns swimming across every few years...

Ken, I wish my Dad was around and able to ride too
My Father In Law (FIL) lived an active life and it's seems to be paying off for him at ~80 years old

So last Sunday was only 72F and spotty showers, so much different than 2 weeks ago at 92F
He seemed revved up and shot out of the garage after we pumped up the tires
14Aug12241II.jpg

Think he may have had a scheme going because in all the enthusiasm, I forgot to have him put a helmet on.
My main concern is his stability more than an collision
He seems very stable and is good with cars driving around but I told him he should put it on next week

He got talkative after a while. He may have said 1 or 2 standard lines but no repeats :D
He was riding quickly again so it good to see he wants to do more than just cruise

We got our DQ treats and he got a large cone for a price of a medium, bonus!
Talked a bit with a fixie kid who had a nice bike ( and a nice guy), he liked our bikes too :D
My FIL chimes in, “I’m 80 years old and they won’t let me drive a car any more but I can ride”
The guy said that’s great! I thought: There IS freedom after they take the car away…
14Aug12242II.jpg

So I asked if he wanted to go home a different route, closer to the river and the community garden
He said sure so we took off. He mentioned once that he didn’t know where he was but kept checking the street signs and mentioned his address. I said I knew the way home.

We stopped at the Longfellow Community Garden (est 1942) and hung out a bit
Thought maybe some of the gardens might jog his farming memories
Not so much because he was amazed people didn’t just steal all the vegetables
He said; “Let’s get a picture of me pretending to take some squash” Always the jokester :lol:
14Aug12243II.jpg

So we hung out and he gave me a play-by-play of an older couple playing Frisbee
He was so engrossed that I asked him a couple of questions (loudly) and he was unresponsive
My wife talks about needing to have him look directly at you to focus and communicate well
I’ve seen it a bit before so I’m glad we found hand signals and loud talking to communicate while riding
14Aug12245II.jpg

So we headed back and he seemed in a great mood even though the day was kinda dreary
We hung out a bit and talked about the lawn and when it was time to put the bike away,
He starts booking though the grass, he is getting better every week :D
14Aug12246II.jpg

One other thing happened last week,
He said his standard line about owning a HD and Ariel square 4 MC but added he was riding someone else’s bike.
I told him it used to be his daughter but now it his
BTW: he hasn’t responded to “Dad” for quite a few years
I tried to make sure this week that he knew that the bicycle was his
So when he said “I used to own a HD and Ariel”, I added “and now a JC Higgins too”.
We’ll see if it sticks…

We went about 5 miles (vs 3 miles normally) and had a great ride,
Plan on switching it up to another DQ farther away next time

Please tell me if my posts are getting too wordy,
I’ve got the “gift of gab” and sometimes it just too much :lol:

Thanks for Looking
Steve

Not to wordy at all buddy. Keep it coming.

great stuff. Don't cut back on the words. The little details make it good.

I cling to every word. I seriously think if you wrote out these days with even more detail that it could be turned into a journal book, it would become a staple for bicycle loving people, a coffee table type book written in diary format. You might even make some money that you could use down the road to create more great memories.

yoothgeye said:
I cling to every word. I seriously think if you wrote out these days with even more detail that it could be turned into a journal book, it would become a staple for bicycle loving people, a coffee table type book written in diary format. You might even make some money that you could use down the road to create more great memories.

I like this idea. Something you may want to look at later.

Roscoe Clyde

Thats freaking awesome :D They say you never forget how to ride a bike it really is sad when the elderly get to the point where alzeimers and dementia take those memories away. :( It's a true blessing he was able to still ride after 50 years. Congrats on this accomplishment brother :D

yoothgeye said:

yes. dont change a thing. I await the next episode!!

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, Climbing behind the Falls

Hey, Thanks a lot all you guys! :D I'll keep those words coming,
I guess for once my gift of gab is actually beneficial :lol:

I started this thread to kinda show how someone with dementia issues but reasonably good health could enjoy the benefits of biking. It changed into a story of how I finally found a way to connect with my FIL doing something we both like. Some of it now is also telling about some of the challenges we face with dementia and how we deal with them. Maybe some of you also have or will have, these challenges so maybe it can give a bit of insight

Not sure if I'd try to publish but I'm going to give my FIL a copy of the thread (edited) for his 80th Bday coming up next month. Also have some Bday present ideas now for his bike now too. Never knew what to get him before...

Peatbog, don't encourage him :lol: :lol:
Mullholland, yeah it's tough when that happens. Dementia has similar symptoms but you can't die from it directly like Alzheimers. My wife's Mom has Alzheimers and she lost the connections in her brain to be able to sit or stand and has been bedridded ever since (~ 3yrs). It must be tough for my FIL to see what has happened to his wife that but he doesn't really talk about it

On to Today, Thought we'd switch it up and go to a different DQ, down by Minnehaha Falls.
I told him the plan and he said "Terrific!" So he took off like a shot
IMG_7340II.jpg

We took the side streets up to the more busy ones near DQ
He was cooking along again and I got a low shot from the Jacked Up Pilot
IMG_7342II.jpg

New territory but with the hand signals he didn't seemed stressed
I think it helps with some of his hearing loss too
We got across a couple of busy intersections and parked the bikes
IMG_7343II.jpg

He got a strawberry sundae and I got a M&M mini blizzard :D
Looked at the ice cream cakes and asked if he wanted one of those or a regular cake for his Bday. He surprised me when he said regular cake. My wife clued me in to the fact that he wanted regular cake AND ice cream :lol:

There were a ton of people going to the park and we saw some HDs
He said "I used to have one and a Ariel square 4" and I chimed in with and now a JC Higgins,
He laughed: "Not as fun as a HD though"
So it didn't take (yet) about his bike ownership but I'm still working on it...

Got across the busy round-about into the park, thank goodness :roll:
After seeing the 10 mph speed limit sign on the path he reminded me and laughed
We went over to see Minnehaha Falls and it must have triggered some memories
He said that he used to climb behind the falls, I said I did too and I was glad we weren't young and foolish anymore , he laughed. Then he mentioned it 2 more times, oh well...
IMG_7346II.jpg

So I asked to take a picture and he gave me this one :lol:
This explains why both my Wife (mostly) and her son (always) pose goofy :lol:
IMG_7345II.jpg

Hung out and watched all the people having fun especially with the Italian 4 tired bikes
IMG_7347II.jpg

Did I mention it was perfect weather? Told him we could look at these pics when it was
-40F this winter and say; we had fun last summer and that's why we live here :lol:
IMG_7349II.jpg

So we took off on the bike route along West River Road of the Mississippi
It usually is very busy and a few tight spots so I was a bit anxious but he did really well :D
So I said he could take the lead and we'd be taking a left at the the sign
I guess the hand signals sunk in because he was so on it (although a little early :lol: )
IMG_7350II.jpg

Went though the community garden and he remembered the turns
Enjoyed the ride back and then sat in the back yard
Talked about the neighbors long lawn this time
I said we rode about 4.5 miles and he said "Really? Wish I would have went" :shock:
I must have had a surprised look because he pointed at me and started laughing :lol:
IMG_7351II.jpg

Here is the nice picture he did while he was laughing about the impromptu goofy shot
IMG_7344II.jpg

We both had another Terrific Day!
Thanks for Looking
Steve

Thanks again. Both my grandmothers died of alzheimers one over years and years and one very quickly, the loss of a connection was hurtful as a kid. I really hurt for my dad when we'd go to visit and she didn't recognize him and she thought that I was him, I was always very sympathetic even though he never showed it bothered him.

I can imagine dementia being similar.

"wish I would have went" that was funny.

MplsCoaster said:
I said we rode about 4.5 miles and he said "Really? Wish I would have went" :shock:
I must have had a surprised look because he pointed at me and started laughing :lol:
That's both funny and not funny cause you just don't know.

Great stories and photos as always.

aka_locojoe said:
MplsCoaster said:

Exactly what I was thinking. :roll:

FIL seems like he has a good sense of humor, so no telling if he was messing with you or not.

We were lucky with my grandmother that recently passed. She had some memory issues, but I carried on a conversation with her on the phone only 2 weeks before she went peacefully.

Thanks for your your input guys.

yoothgeye said:
Thanks again. Both my grandmothers died of alzheimers one over years and years and one very quickly, the loss of a connection was hurtful as a kid. I really hurt for my dad when we'd go to visit and she didn't recognize him and she thought that I was him, I was always very sympathetic even though he never showed it bothered him.

I can imagine dementia being similar.

Hey Youthgeye, Sorry about your grandmothers and for you and your Dad. Thanks for you input to the conversation. It's good to here how other have dealt with it.

Both my Dad and Grandma (dementia) didn't recognize me after a certain point. Once my grandma thought I was her husband who she had said I looked like (many years before). It's defintiely a loss and I tried to remember all the good times instead, not much else to do. My FIL is quite a ways off from that severe so I'll keep riding and reminding until we get to that point.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
"wish I would have went" that was funny.
Thanks IIFIFM. In this case it was funny because he was actually joking with me.
aka_locojoe said:
MplsCoaster said:
Thanks Randy! It's one of those things that you have to be there to know for sure. it was so outlandish and his level of laughter let me know that he was pulling my leg. When he repeated "climbing behind the falls" 3 times, I can tell he didn't remember saying the statement before versus forgetting the whole ride. My wife says that it is the highlight of his week and he is in a great mood afterwards. If he didn't actually remember, then he wouldn't be in as good a mood (like sometimes happened with my Dad). It's always a tough call though and I'm learning more by hanging out more with him.

kingfish254 said:
FIL seems like he has a good sense of humor, so no telling if he was messing with you or not.
We were lucky with my grandmother that recently passed. She had some memory issues, but I carried on a conversation with her on the phone only 2 weeks before she went peacefully.

You're right, he is a jokester! I'm learning slowly whether he's joking or not wiht help from my wife and observing his incredibly dry sense of humor. 4 months ago I would have never known.
Sorry about you Grandmother and I'm so glad you were able to carry on a good conversation with her. Thanks goodness she went peacefully. Thanks for your input.

Thanks for looking
Steve

Another great story, Steve! :D

I have been roughly following this thread. I have been blessed to not have any family members have this trouble (they al dies well before hand) and I salute you for what you have been doing. I do have a lady at my church (pretty much have know her as far back as I can remember and I am 34) that is suffering from this and it is truly hard to have her come up and remember who I am but not much else.

But I do agree that you should publish this (maybe in and e-book only or somthing). I think this would benift a lot of people. Again thank you, for what you have done and for making me thank the man upstair for my blessings.

Re: First Ride in 50+ years, Off to the Rocket

Hey Fahrrad, Thanks for checking out the thread
Sorry to hear about your family.
It's good that the woman from church knows you name,
she may not recall details but she remembers you :D
My wife says sometimes they don't even know your name
but can recognize how they feel about you, so that's good
It was similar with my Dad and Grandma

So another warm and sunny day in Minnesota
Cleared up just in time for my FIL and my ride :D
Took my wife's Eliminator to shake down before the Mpls Messaround
I said head right for me! :lol:
IMG_7395II.jpg

We took off to the Lake street DQ, less traffic and congestion
He was a bit quiet but in good spirits
IMG_7396II.jpg

Had to get a shot from the driver's seat of the Eliminator
IMG_7397II.jpg

He was diggin into his Strawberry Sundae (gave him lots of Strawberry today) while I was waiting
IMG_7398II.jpg

He says; "Do they have refills here" and laughed it up, the jokester :lol:
I said money will fill it up but maybe get a stomach ache too

So we took off to a new park today, Bracket Park
Some people may remember the Rocket from my RBB6 pictures
He asked me what the heck it was
Told him that you used to be able to crawl up in it and then slide down
It went in to disrepair for many years then an artist built this out of it (too cool)
IMG_7400II.jpg

So we hung out a bit and checked out the cool architecture of the rec center
He walked into my artsy shot, showed him and he laughed
IMG_7403II.jpg

So he took off with a rolling start again :shock: :D He is really stable on the bike
We slowed for a stop sign and I looked over and he was completely stopped and balanced perfectly :D
I think he likes the challenge 8)

There was a neighborhood art crawl today sponsored by League of Longfellow Artists (LOLA)
So we stopped in at MrK's place, his renter is a good artist
My favorite piece is the Robot Cyclist (by my FIL's head), very cool !!
IMG_7406II.jpg

Almost caused an accident when I had to stop to take a pic of one of my favorite cars 8) 8)
My FIL skidded but kept it cool. I apologized and he said "No problem"
IMG_7407II.jpg

Headed back home and talked about the lawn
He always says thanks and now we have a comedy routine...
FIL: Thank you for the DQ! Me: You're Welcome!
Me: Thank you for the ride! FIL: You're Welcome!
We both get a good laugh out of it :lol:
IMG_7410II.jpg

Looking forward to going to a different location next week
Thought I should ask him if he would like to take some pics, we'll see

Put on about 5 miles and both had another good day
Thanks for looking
Steve

Latest posts

Back