First Attempt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my first attempt. Thanks to the guys at College Cyclery for their help and patience.
Steve
profile.jpg

oblique.jpg

Man that is sweet lookin'. :shock:

I've got to build something with black rims and blackwalls.

Welcome aboard!

yea go post in the intro area. then again i think this is how i came to this site posting one of my bikes first before the intro area was even around. i love what you did to that bike i bought it at bug o rama last year wish i had taken a before shot of it lol. actually i dont think he did take the ratty truck out for a spin you should and sensor if you would like to see the lucky 7 up close let me know now that i got the truck back and my licence :oops: i can bring her down. hey seville we are doing a victory ride this sat night from the shop you down? sweet bike i can see you are now bitten by the ratty bug !

That's a sweet bike but....WE'VE GOT A 1028-POSTING WITHOUT AN INTRO-REQUEST BACKUP-SUSPECT LAST SEEN ON A RATTY BIKE-OVERppsshhtt...(RADIO SOUND) :wink:
L8 EM

hey hey now he rolls with me so its cool. the frame is a jc higgins like my 1950's higgins kustom but this one was a later frame and is a mid weight. lucky for him the new schwinn 26 x 2.125 tires are thin when mounted. i will shut up you talk about it seville. sweet bike and yea you got it right first time out.

OK OK I posted an intro. Yeah I am down for the victory ride. I need to learn more about the details of this bike. I really just grabbed parts that looked good to me. Luckily, most of them were cheap. The rims and tires are off a new schwinn, I cut the bars to what felt right, the crank was on the bike and just needed some steel wool (it still needs some persuasion of the heat and hammer variety). I have no plans to paint it. The old rattle can attempts suit me just fine and I don't want to lose the 1961 City of Modesto bicycle license. The seat is a Brooks and just seemed to belong there. So yeah I am hooked.

w :shock: w, your bike is pretty much perfect. I love the stem/fork combo and the black black black rims and tires give a very sinister look.
Great build!

Simply sweet bike, looks alot better put together. I think I was at the shop when you were picking out that springer.
I think my comment was " hey I was just about to buy that " :roll: congrats on your first attempt, its a cool bike.

Mark

So how much wrestling was required to make the forks fit this bike.

These are the ones that have been talked about lately....right Adam?

Great bike. Looks good as is. I am liking the use of a 10spd/varsity stem on this bike and others like Killafornia.

Yep. I think you're catchin on. Better get a shed for all the new project bikes you'll be bring home to build. I did. Nice Bike! Oh, been watching for those Brooks seats, is that a B-74? Looks Good! Is it comfortable for say a 3 mile ride( about the longest distance I ride at 1 time before I stop for a beer)? Dangerous Dan

cman the seat is a b66 he was going to go with something else then i showed him the brooks stuff and it was all over lol. i am a salesman after all :p as for the fork i did the install and this one went lickity split well mostly. because these jc higgins frames are a goofy size they need special cups. the ones i used on my 1950's higgins kustom were 1 1/8 to 1 addapters then a 1 inch threadless. on seville's bike i used the same addapters but they fit too tight so i had my buddy toss them on his lathe and take off a little less than a mill so they would go in properly and not distort the addapters or frame. the headset is a standard 1 inch threaded OTHER than the bottom race. that was a pain in the u know what finding one that would press on properly to the monark fork. after about 30 races i found one that worked great but in my haste i forgot to measure it so lucky hunting sry guys. that is the real trick to making this fork work right is to find a race that fits tight. kool seville come on by i wanna ride your bike looks real cool nice work.

Not too much wrestling to get the forks on the wheel. I adjusted the linkage and spacers at the hub, and applied a little force to spread the fork. Adam did the work on the headset since it wasn't standard.

That is a great looking bike. I too love the black rim/blackwall tire combo. Any comments on the fork you used? Most of what I have heard about them has been negative (about the function of it), but I love the looks of them.

If I could change one thing it would not be on the bike, but the layout of the pic. Can you post some similar pics taken from the drivetrain side?

Nice work, welcome aboard.

62H

Back