Finished - Finally! - Maybe...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the beginning of the year, I posted this bike in my intro. It was working when I got it, but this photo showed the disassembled and stripped front wheel. This started mostly as a 64 Schwinn Hornet. The rims definitely weren't original and they are pretty beat. It is single speed (Bendix RB-2 with coaster brake). The brake pads/pawls? are boken in half internally but still sit in place and function well.

64SchwinnHornet.jpg

In my free time (not a lot, that's why I'm posting 4 months later), I stripped everything off and removed the paint to the bare metal on the frame and the fork. Every component got cleaned and repacked with grease.

IMG_0149.jpg

Then I repainted the bike a semi-flat black (rattle can) with a clear coat finish. Anyone know how to get better durability with this method? I also painted the rims white and got new whitewalled tires. The Schwinn headbadge originally was white with black lettering, but I painted it with the same flat white I used on the rims, and am going to leave it pure white. Somehow I'm sure I've offended a purist or two with that alone, but I like it. Pictures below:

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

Special thanks to everyone who posted on this site with tricks and tips in other posts that helped the project. Also to Sheldon Brown (rest his soul) for proper instructions on relacing spokes.

So I could happily consider it finished and it rides great, though I am tempted to mess around with different handlebars. I may also refinish and add the original chainguard and second hand rack. If I add fenders, I may use the current ones and beat out the dents, or go for an ebay special on ones in better shape. I would welcome thoughts on potential add-ons/changes!

mcbike

Simple clean cruiser. Very nice. I neede shades to view the white walls. :p

You simply can't go wrong with the clean cruiser look, and the effort you put into this bike really shows....I knew those double whitewalls would be a hit!

I just got a pair of mini-apes, one with a "U" shape and a 13 inch rise, and another with a "V" shape and a 11 inch rise. I am very happy them both, the look is great for the cleaner styles and the riding position is pretty comfortable. If you are interested in trying different bars I would happily recommend either one.

And don't worry if the headbadge pisses off the purists. I found this site because I had a '74 Schwinn Speedster that I stopped taking to the local bike shops because every time I told them I was thinking about something other than a classic restoration for it they tore me a new one...I thought businesses were supposed to be nice to their customers! Plus I just repainted a Schwinn headbadge and it was much more difficult than I anticipated. Much, much more difficult...

Paint durability...I recall a few posts about the preferred finishing spray, you might be able to find them with a search. My next project is going to bypass it altogether, because I'm going to try the aerosol spray they use to coat the beds of trucks with. Heck, you can get it at any Walmart now. I'm currently looking for a junker to try it on, this one is going to be a rat all the way.

Thanks for the comments. It was a sunny day, so the rims and whitewalls really glare. I'm not sure why I got so anal, but I wanted every fleck of paint off the frame. It looked so good, I thought about just clearcoating it, but decided to paint my first project. I wasn't so concerned on the fork, I feathered out the paint but didn't completely remove it.

My LBS has been pretty good. He gave me his wholesaler catalog and told me to tell him what to order. All his used parts are open to me, too. For instance he has a few buckets of handlebars, so when I want to with my latest project, I can come in and try out the different styles. In the end, I think he would rather have me buy new, but he's gotten me for a road bike and my kids bikes and tons of accessories so far.

Mike

Back