FALCON REAR HUB WOES!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know that the falcon rear hubs are a cheaper line, but that is what i had and am using on my latest build. the problem i had was when i was not peddaling, there was a awful "growling" noise coming from the hub. i took it apart, found what i thougt was a dry enough bearing to cause it and no luck, still growled. so after taking it apart a dozen times i finally seen it! the sprocket side where the brake cone tightens up to inside of the hub when you pedal had teeth marks worn into the hub from the cone and when you werent pedaling and it backed off, the teeth on the the cone and the worn hub would rub and make the noise!!! so after honing it with a wheel cylinder hone and sanding it smooth w/sand paper i finally got it quite!!!. just thought i would share in case some one else runs into the same problem. :D :D

i have the same hub which was making the exact noise you spoke of and after taking it apart i came to the same conclusion. the fix, as suggested, was pretty straight forward and smoothing out those teeth marks and rebuilding it definitely made it quiet. i did this 3 weeks ago and all was well until yesterday when all of a sudden it locked the wheel up tight. no movement in either direction. i haven't tried to take it apart yet to see exactly what happened but i thought my experience was worth noting for anyone else that has the falcon hub.

Latest posts

Back