Escaped Convict (Done)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACD

Reaction score
Fugitive.jpg

Ok guys I'm in on this build. I hope I can finish it before the deadline due to work. Here's the bike. I don't know what it is or how old. Forks are bent. I've named it "Escaped Convict" . Not sure what direction it will take. Clunker, BMX, Boardtracker ?? Whatever happens it will be fun.

Well I took it apart and started mock ups. The inverted drop bars appeal to me for some reason... thinking about putting something really sharp sticking out of them like horns or prongs.... :shock:
Apart
Apart.jpg

The Bull Horn Look...
Bull.jpg

Classic look...
Ape.jpg

By the way this frame still seems small to me. That's a 26" 10-spd fork on the front, and a 24 x 2 1/4 tire on the back. That 24 just fits! I might be able to squeeze 26's on but it would have to be a very narrow tire. I may revert to 20" wheels to keep the scale intact altough it sits pretty level with the 24 rear and 20 front with the 10-spd fork. Anyway I'm rambling.

Aaron

That BMX is a Jetter 24" Nobody knows much about it. I borrowed it's rear wheel for the mock up. I think I'm going a different direction.. I want to try a skinny 26 up front and a 20 or 24 in the rear and see how I like it as a bobber with drag bars.

Aaron

I like the classic look.

I'd stick with at least a 24" rear wheel....2 20'" wheels makes it look weird.

I don't think so. It had 20" wheels on it when I got it but not original and it would just be possible to get 26's on it I think. Some of the more experinced members have said it is an old 26" frame. I don't know. One of the wheels has a little tag that says 61 cliped to the spokes.. no idea what that's about.

Aaron

Aaron, I think that whatever you do, you need to keep that straightbar level. It just doesn't look right angeled. The 20/24s look mighty enticing! I got a straightbar bike from Gotavan and it's a 24". Maybe that's what yours was? I'll try to get it out and take some pics for ya. It might help a little.

Do you hate handlbar decisions as much as I do? I think that's the tuffest part of getting a bike to come together. I usually have the darn things scattered all over and then start thinking .... what if I cut that part off and weld it to that? I've had some scary mutant looking stuff over the years! I've got my eyeballs glued to a pair of motorcycle bars from the local cycle gizmo seller. Only $20.00 and there mine!

Good luck and keep the pics coming!
Chainsaw

Chainsaw I agree I can't get this bike level without a 20" front. That's not my favorite style but I'm commited to building this bike cheap with what's on hand plus paint and tires. So it's a case of the bike dictating it's own look. The name ''Escaped Convict" is because I want to do a bike in black and white. No chrome. The parts I have are rusty and crusty so they are getting painted. I need to find a Banana seat or make one with a tall sissy bar. As small as this bike is I could never pedal it otherwise.

Latest posts

Back